Advice for sampling

i listen for good parts to chop up, like hot orchestral or brass licks with strong individual hits, and good parts to loop.

Yeah i look just for little open sections with interesting instruments over them, i usually make my sampled beat more towards the epic sounds, so a lot of orchestral stuff catches my ear.

Words? Drum loops? or ways you can flip the words in a creative way?

All of the above, and more.

Sampling is tricky to explain. I try to think about taking a small piece (or pieces) of a song expanding it into something dope an MC could go over. You can use pretty much anything that catches your ear. It helps to get on WhoSampled and check out how some hot beats were done. On the real tip though- there's like a million ways to flip samples

edit: the beat in my sig is all samples

Last edited:
Usually I search for either drums only or instrument samples. I can very quickly hear if I'm able to use the sample or not.

As others have said, sample any section of audio which sounds good to you. The more you do this, the more you'll realize what will and won't work.

Thanks a lot guys for your advice and to @Dr.Strangelove I will definitely check out that site. They have the sample's listed for so many songs.

I listen mainly for good drum breaks that are isolated (no other instruments playing etc) hopefully a nice instrument melody or stab, something I can loop up and still have a few variations to layer/stretch out into a nice 8-16 bar loop for a verse, then if I'm lucky there will also be a nice build I can use as a pre chorus for a song. Also don't be afraid of sections with drums in them, as long as you chop the sample up at the hits, you can replay the tune to your liking and then layer your own drums on top - once I learnt that I found a lot more of my vinyl samples were usable

Me, i either look for some cool vocals or a nice melody loop then i go from there

if you dont have any concrete ideas, just look up /mu essentials funk, or soul, and then pick an album and listen through it, anything that you think is cool bring to the chopping block

Thanks man. I definetly will search up that. It's weird cause I actually recently obtained some Funkadelic and Parliment records Monday and I definetly wanna sample those.

Back