Addiction

V

Vonlee

What up folk...Vonlee here out of Hayward, Ca...I have lots of vinyl to sample from in exchange for a few tutoring session on the MPC 2kxl...been reading the manual, got small issues with building songs in the sequencer, tempo of different samples played together...Hit me up...I'll feed your addiction if you feed mine...

Thanks for the welcome...this site is kind of confusing but I will push through..speaking of diggin though, went diggin through my own ish, found some vocals on a church choir record, slicing and dicing..messing with the params..the Lord loves a cheerful giver....pass the word around...jonesin here for a few more tricks I need....two fingers

I have a 2000 non xl they should be about the same but Ill be honest I havent touched song mode in mine. Mine died about 2 weeks after I got it so while it was fast and easy for me to learn I didnt get to actually make many songs on the mpc by itself but Im sure I can answer lots of your questions

Song mode is just a combination of sequences.

U make ur sequences, (say seq1 is ur 8 bar hook and seq2 is ur 8 bar verse for simplicity), Go to song mode and for step 1 put the hook (seq1) 1 time, then for step 2 put the verse (seq2) 2 times, then step 3 the hook (seq1)1 time, etc . . .

That is a very simple example but thats what song mode is, a place where u can combine sequences togeher to make changeups and shit. It takes it a step deeper than just making a sequence. Its part of what makes MPCs dope and u SHOULD use it. Mess with it, ull get it and if u have any questions hit me.

Im off and on tracking beats and watching basketball ill be on aim most of the day my log in herfavdj

Quick question.. I know how to create songs with reps but can't get 2 sequences at the same time..normally make 1 seq with many tracks, copy,create new with mutes, create in song, but it only repeats..I'm missing something...been try to find it in the manual but no luck..

i never learned the song mode I usually just recorded all of my sequences to sonar and edited them together

Quick question.. I know how to create songs with reps but can't get 2 sequences at the same time..normally make 1 seq with many tracks, copy,create new with mutes, create in song, but it only repeats..I'm missing something...been try to find it in the manual but no luck..

I'm not quite understanding that question, but if you can rephrase it I'm sure I can help you.

I'm on AIM: imtherhapsodist

You can reach me easily on Twitter too, ha ha. @kaviekav

Last edited:
I'm not quite understanding that question, but if you can rephrase it I'm sure I can help you.

I'm on AIM: imtherhapsodist

You can reach me easily on Twitter too, ha ha. @kaviekav
he wants to layer sequences on top of eachother which I think they do in Fruity Loops. Well tracks rather but each track is its own sequence in FL. I dont think he realizes that each sequence is its own sequence and you chain them in a time line on the mpc

I dont understand what ur saying either - what do u mean by reps? Repetitions? I pretty much broke down song mode in my earlier post. 2 sequences at the same time? not sure what u mean. Do u mean have a seq play multiple times in a step?

Like u said, if u make 1 seq with many tracks, (say seq 1), then copy and make a new seq with mutes (seq2), then go to song mode (song1) and for step 1 use (seq1) 1 time, then for step 2 use (seq2) 2 times, then for step 3 use (seq1) 1 time, then for step 4 use (seq 2) 2 times, and so on.

HTH

Last edited:
Hey Kavie!!! here's the deal...I have a seq with multiple tracks as well as multiple seqs all for one song..in songs I pick different seq and it allows you to pick how many reps you want. You line them up in order...then select end song....basically I can do that but what if I want seq 5 and 6 to play at the same time..Am I'm creating seq wrong... I'm in need of how to sequence without all this extra work...am I missing something.....ALL I WANT TO DO IS BUILD SEQ INTO ONE SONG...WHERE DO LEARN THAT.....Im a 2kxl virgin so be patient with me.

Hey Kavie!!! here's the deal...I have a seq with multiple tracks as well as multiple seqs all for one song..in songs I pick different seq and it allows you to pick how many reps you want. You line them up in order...then select end song....basically I can do that but what if I want seq 5 and 6 to play at the same time..Am I'm creating seq wrong... I'm in need of how to sequence without all this extra work...am I missing something.....ALL I WANT TO DO IS BUILD SEQ INTO ONE SONG...WHERE DO LEARN THAT.....Im a 2kxl virgin so be patient with me.

AFIK You cant play two sequences on top of each other if thats what you mean.

You could copy tracks from one sequence to the other, like if u like certain tracks from seq 1 and certain tracks from seq 2 you could copy the tracks you like from one to the other or from each to a new sequence, in that way u CAN combine sequences, but im not sure if thats what you're trying to accomplish.

Let me know if that makes any sense :cheers:

Sub got the solution.. Its not possible to play two diff seq's on top of each other in "song mode".. Normally I just record from the mpc to my sequencer on my cpu.. I use reaper (PC user).. That way I can easy set up the track..

AFIK You cant play two sequences on top of each other if thats what you mean.

You could copy tracks from one sequence to the other, like if u like certain tracks from seq 1 and certain tracks from seq 2 you could copy the tracks you like from one to the other or from each to a new sequence, in that way u CAN combine sequences, but im not sure if thats what you're trying to accomplish.

Let me know if that makes any sense :cheers:
Man...that's it. It seems nobody is using the sequencers on their MPC's...beside the manual/practacting any suggestion on learning...thanks tho':bigeyes:

Man...that's it. It seems nobody is using the sequencers on their MPC's...beside the manual/practacting any suggestion on learning...thanks tho':bigeyes:

I actually sequence all my beats on my mpc. Most of pros Ive seen still do it that way. The new wave of beatmakers/producers are leaning more and more toward software sequencing but the majority of old school pros still bang out on hardware sequencing, though they might be triggering virtual synths and samplers along with other sounds. That's the way I do it, then track it into pro tools and mix from there.

I learned how to use an mpc by watching others. IMO that is the best way to learn. But feel free to ask any questions. Im sure there are plenty of us here with a little experience.

hth

Back