[Ableton Tutorial] Resampling Throttle's Boombox

Nexosaur

Multi-Genre Maker
Since we all know what the Prydz snare is, we can skip to what this tutorial is about. I will be showing you an amazing way to resample the Prydz-like snare from Throttle's Boombox. Illegally download the track, use the mp3/m4a/aiff/whatever that you already have. Please be aware that I do not support piracy, but go ahead and do it if you want to sample so bad.

TEMPO IS 128 BPM. When you place the track into your DAW, go to the fourth beat of the 42nd measure. Cut that beat, and only that beat, out of the track. Delete everything else, or leave it if you so choose. Place it in a new audio track. Here is where we layer all the FX, and there are A LOT.

What you will need:
EQ Eight
Overdrive
Vocoder
Ping Pong Delay (Not necessary, just if you want to make a cool fractal effect)
Spectrum (Not necessary)
Phaser
Limiter
Frequency Shifter
Utility
Reverb
Glue Compressor
Dynamic Tube

View attachment Boombox Snare Sample.mp3

Here is a preview before you go any further into this long tutorial.

Start with the EQ Eight. Boost the highs around 4K and the mids below 1K.

Overdrive. Keep everything on the default settings. Mess around if you want.

Vocoder. Change the carrier to Modulator. Set the level to 13 dB. Put the depth at 152%. Put the attack and release all the way down. Move the Formant down to -19.0.

OPTIONAL Ping Pong Delay. Double click on the FX and set it to Repitch instead of Fade. Next, change it from Sync to Time and put the time to 180-185. Modulate the time however you want after the audio is finished so it gives a cool fractal effect to the sound. Turn the Dry/Wet to 19%

Phaser. Keep this on default.

Limiter. Set the gain to -6.50 dB and put the Ceiling at 0 dB. Make the release .13 ms.

Frequency Shifter. Set the LFO/S&H Amount to 20.8 Hz. Change the Frequency from Shift to Ring, and put it at 17.4 Hz.

Utility. Push the gain to 3.89 dB

Reverb. Turn off the chorus and change the decay tim to 567 m. Mess around with the other factors however you want.

Glue Compressor. Set the Threshold to -29.5 dB and Makeup at 11.4 dB.

Dynamic Tube. Leave at default.

There you go! Leave some feedback if you liked this tutorial! I plan on doing them as often as possible, based around whatever strange thing I do with some audio. Maybe I'll even do bass resamples.

Back