90's hiphop boom bap bassline's

InspectaMorze

I am aware of low pass filtering the bass for the sample, has anyone else got any tips on basslines to get that really mellow deep sound?

Also how would you be able to tell if the bassline is in key with the sample? My problem atm is matching my bass notes to my sample.

thanks

You listen to the bass with the sample and if it sounds in key then it is if it doesn't then it isn't

Yo you probably wont get that many positive replies with 2 basically identical threads asking for tips.. But if you just take a sin wave and play it real low its a dope easy bass thats what a ton of the boom bap producers have been doing for decades

Hit record, and put your finger on the end of the 1/4 plug. Instant sine wave. Just add low pass.
Sub bass the ol'school way.

Synthesizers like the Juno 60/160, Moog, MicroKorg, etc. If you can't afford or don't want to invest in a syth though, sampling is the best way to go. Just take if from the record, any record, filter it, layer it, add resonance, if it's just one note pitch it to new notes, chop it up and re-arrange it or use the whole thing as is, what ever you want.

Synthesizers like the Juno 60/160, Moog, MicroKorg, etc. If you can't afford or don't want to invest in a syth though, sampling is the best way to go. Just take if from the record, any record, filter it, layer it, add resonance, if it's just one note pitch it to new notes, chop it up and re-arrange it or use the whole thing as is, what ever you want.

Anybody can afford the free (synth1) or very cheap synths, might aswell use one.

Why do samplers have a need to NEVER create any original sounds?

Anybody can afford the free (synth1) or very cheap synths, might aswell use one.

Why do samplers have a need to NEVER create any original sounds?

I'm sorry, I guess I have to apologize. I never knew that free for download software programs were the key to creating "original sounds". I guess all of the people who've been making great music for all of these years have been doing things totally the wrong way.

no sarcasm emoticon??;)

Seriously, though, no machine software or hardware can produce a perfect sine wave so why get caught up in using x-hardwaresynth costing $k's vs y-softsynth costing download bandwidth.

It's not about the tools it's how you use them that counts - after 35 years of playing I still do not own a genuine Fender or Gibson guitar, I've got a few Squier basses. But my guitars have always been a matter of does it feel right, does it play well, does it sing in my hands - most I ever paid for an electric guitar is $180 in 1988. Most I ever paid for an acoustic is $250 in 2005. Most I ever paid for a bass is $800 in 1988. I seriously have spent more money on single hardware rack synths - $1500 on three different modules each. My Mackie 24.8 Onyx cost me $1800 after it had been used for a musical for 6 months

What I am saying is it is not how much it costs, it what it does when you use it.

I'm sorry, I guess I have to apologize. I never knew that free for download software programs were the key to creating "original sounds". I guess all of the people who've been making great music for all of these years have been doing things totally the wrong way.

Well it's ONE of the ways of doing it. And it's free, that's why I mentioned it.

Seriously, though, no machine software or hardware can produce a perfect sine wave so why get caught up in using x-hardwaresynth costing $k's vs y-softsynth costing download bandwidth.

Because analog synths and some digital synths (omnisphere, virus, etc) just sound better than others.

I find it hard to believe that a software synth cannot create a perfect sine, if it is done mathematically, as in f(x)=sin(x)

Last edited:
Creating a perfect sin wave ain't no substitution for a real life musician playing a real live instrument. Samplers don't have a need to to create "original" sounds because using computerized sounds isn't what aim to do.

I find it hard to believe that a software synth cannot create a perfect sine, if it is done mathematically, as in f(x)=sin(x)

that would be f(t) = sin(ώt), where t is time and ώ is 2π

Even if done mathematically you will have interpolation errors (the bits in between your sample rate). It is the fundamental reason that we call it digital, every sound has discrete time intervals that need to be interpolated between to make the sample continuous. When rendered to the analogue domain, there are further issues, because of the Nyquist point and other aspects such as bit depth and sample rate - moving from 24 bit or 32 bit to 16 bit (what most of our dacs are capable of, although some do go to 20 bit) we are down-sampling and losing accuracy, hence the need for dither - digital noise that obscures the lack of accuracy in the lower bit depth and sampling rates.

A true sine wave is contiguous and continuous - time after all is a continuous medium - it is only humans who have decided that time should be able to be cut up into ever smaller pieces. However, just as with Zeno's paradox, we can never catch the smallest unit of time, no matter how finely we slice it, there will be still smaller units of time to slice into - it is the result of considering time as an infinite continuum. There are those who will argue we can get close and that once it passes the threshold of perception (<40ms) it is immaterial if we can cut time any further, as we are unable to distinguish events any smaller. The threshold of perception, however, is for discrete events not continuous events, we can still hear glitches in continuous events if they are not represented correctly

do yourself a favor and get a real bass and learn it just a little...you can make it sound any way you want, I know it is the old school way to low pass a sample to use it as a bass line but man, it sounds like crap, get your sample and HI PASS it then play your own over top of it!!

I always copy the sample in different layers. 1 Low-Passed layer, 1 High-Passed layer but turn it way down to make sound like normal but it will be a little louder than normal if you do it right
Than i can sequence both layers seperately to make change-ups in my beats.

I use the Minimosta VSTi (bass presets) in 80% of my beats.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

the 3 Hip-Hop Basses that come stocked with Fruity Loops are great also. 9th Wonder always uses those i think.

do yourself a favor and get a real bass and learn it just a little...you can make it sound any way you want, I know it is the old school way to low pass a sample to use it as a bass line but man, it sounds like crap, get your sample and HI PASS it then play your own over top of it!!

Gotta agree, I got me six of them for different sounds and situations

to each his own I guess but I really like the sound of low passed bass. there are so many different ways to get bass tones and I like most of them. I mostly use a bass synth myself

Start at $600 and go to about $1500 for name brands

Start at $200 and go to about $500 for "no-name" brands i.e. the name is simply a marketing fiction - I have bought gear that has one name and then see the exact same item with a totally different name 6 months later, hence me calling it "no-name".

I have bought some very good instruments cheaply and some terrible ones at the other end of the spectrum, so it's not what it costs, it is how it is built and how it is treated once it is bought.

Back