16 bit to 24 bit on Fruity Loops

Sleazball

Okay...Question, I have 16bit/44.1 samples from a sample CD. When I edit this in software, does it make the sound warmer if I export it 24bit/48?

Next, what bitrate should i render the final beats out of FL 4.5 to get the deepest sound? or does it even matter?

digital conversion shouldn't make anything sound any warmer or colder. You get some dither from up-sampling, and your samples will not benefit from the expanded dynamic range available at 24 bits, since they will be hard locked to their orignial value, or nearest corresponding round-off value at 24 bits. So a sample shoud sound exaclty the same.

You mix of different samples with the effects can however benefit from working at 48K 24 bits. You'll be able to take advantage of the extra headroom, and the increase in sample rate will make your effects crisper.

Okay..gotcha. Thanks for the help. Maybe this is a basic question but if I'm sampling from a CD I rip it to 24 bit Wave file then edit it, Is this the best way to do it?

Also, my problem is specifically bass kicks and 808's when i have bass heavy kicks, 808's & a bassline it sounds like it just all cancels out. I can't really hear them seperated out like they should be. Can you suggest something? One studio engineer told me that you need to make your basslines sound more tapelike. I know he was refering to the deepness of reel-to-reel recording but how the hell do I do that?

Back