Your special vocal mixing techniques

wow , now i know i'm a beginner :(

I am SOO lost lol

i got a lil cheap mic so i just use noise removal and Filter

and a few other things lolll

I need to step it up

Some good feedback here. Yeah Red Mastering, I actually ended up taking the limiter out of my chain. And I agree that settings are unique to the song. I've been starting to angle my mic slightly so that I'm not singing directly into the diaphragm and it has meant that I can avoid using a de-esser. It's easy to forget mic placement is the most important part of recording! My signal is usually peaking at around -8dB. But I may have to knock that down a few dB if you think it will gain a more transparent result?
I was mostly interested in what people's go-to vocal chain was and if they had any small secrets that they would use - such as themixspace's parallel comp, which I will have to give a go. I've started using the CLA 2A and think I prefer that to the 76. Also tried using two compressors in a chain with lower settings but had a hard time getting the sound I was after.
glad I could help,
I think you going good way now, forget about chaps listing most expensive gears money can buy...
many great albums were recorded with basics setup, ...ya know bunch of sm57's - that's it as there were no budget...
focus on vocal technique, and recording straight mic into pre (leave bigger headroom though if you record 24 bits, -18dB peak won't hurt your recording)
perfect this and you'll be good without u47 and dozen $$$ boxes following it
(no offense for those who own and use it:)
less is more

peace

PS. the biggest secret is - there is no magic weapon:)....look -all the greatest hiphop recordings made 80's and 90's - guess how many were recorded straight mic into pre without any 'hocus/pocus' ?

issue.with.purchasing.vocal.plug.ins.

I.m.mostly.using.the.d-verb.and.air.reverb.from.P.T.and.Im.looking.to.get.something.more.exciting...But.I.like.to.stick.to.classic.effects...
I.tried.the.free.demos.from.Waves.(CLA,Maserati)..but.they.all.are.soo.harsh.unless.I.dont.know.how.to.adjust.the.parameters...
Anyone.could.help.me.with.choosing.a.nice.classical.reverb.to.enhance.my.vocal.recordings?.and.precisely.which.presets.to.try?

Thanks.Tons!!!!!!

Back