Work without equipment?

LusterBeats

Hello guys,

I can't afford to get any hardware right now, but I was wondering how I could still develop as a music producer until I get some money for decent equipment. I am already looking for a job, I am almost certain I'll have a job within 2 months, but I feel like I'll have wasted 2 months doing nothing.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of equipment do you feel you need to have to develop as a music producer? Essentially, the only thing you really need is a computer and something that plays back the sound. Decent headphones and monitors would be the next step and eventually a midi keyboard or so? Definitely well worth getting a job for (and perhaps food on the table) but you can still make music and learn a lot without having all this fancy gear.

What kind of equipment do you feel you need to have to develop as a music producer? Essentially, the only thing you really need is a computer and something that plays back the sound. Decent headphones and monitors would be the next step and eventually a midi keyboard or so? Definitely well worth getting a job for (and perhaps food on the table) but you can still make music and learn a lot without having all this fancy gear.

Well I ment Monitors/Headphones and midi keyboard. I have cheap 20 dollar headphones right now, how far can I get with those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I ment Monitors/Headphones and midi keyboard. I have cheap 20 dollar headphones right now, how far can I get with those?

Possibly not very far. I mean, as far as experimenting and learning h
All the techno mumbo jumbo you need to know to make certain things should not be held back by e price tag on your headphones. However to get a good finished product those headphones, whatever they are, just won't do the trick.

but for the next two months they should be fine as long as you have a computer and a daw
- get reaper
- it is free to try and and has an unlimited demo license
- final license cost is $60

in two months you should be ready to make good use of some flat monitors (speakers) and an interface

I want to share this (to me) highly inspirational mini documentary. A little something to keep hope up and some good general advice to make your journey a little more enjoyable.

"Use what you have right NOW"

Last edited:
Just to add my two cents, which is a little off subject, but when you do get the money for equipment remember its not all about what new and expensive equipment you have, its how you use it. Get a DAW, Audio Interface, Monitors, and a Keyboard, master your daw and go for some Plug-ins. Thats the route i would take, i remember being in the beginning stages of buying equipment thinking damn I need that mpc5000 and that new Yamaha Motif and so on. Thinking that the equipment was gonna make my beats sick and better cause it was the latest and greatest but all you need is a DAW, Monitors and a plug-in with tons of sounds! Oh ya and a grip of sick ass drums! which you can find online! haha, Hope this helps!

Hello guys,

I can't afford to get any hardware right now, but I was wondering how I could still develop as a music producer until I get some money for decent equipment. I am already looking for a job, I am almost certain I'll have a job within 2 months, but I feel like I'll have wasted 2 months doing nothing.

Thanks in advance

Just work with those headphones and make beats as if they were good.. I used shitty headphones for a while not knowing they were shit but I kept trying to improve my mixes with those and when I got better headphones mixing was a whole lot easier. Sort of like trying to dunk with some really heavy shoes on and when u finally get light shoes you jump higher than you ever thought you could

My advice would be to spend that time learning and teaching yourself all the universal skills and knowledge of the music world. Of course you will need a mic to record etc., but this will benefit you more than any equipment.

Back