Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Vocal Mic/preamp Does Jay-z Use?

crazydave is offline Member
    Thanks

What Vocal Mic/preamp Does Jay-z Use?

Sign in to disable this ad
    HEY everyone how are you. Just curious to see if anyone knew what microphone Jay-Z uses to record? He has very crisp vocal obviously due to top producers and equipment. But ive never heard anyone who knows what set up he choses? Thanks for your input everyone!!

ruptured is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    he uses whatever the producer he's working with has.

Adlib311 is offline Umbrella Music Group
    Thanks
    he records at the hit factory. they should have a website check it out and peep what gear they have
    Gear List
    MO6 Mpc-1000 2 Technique 1200's Mbox pro 2
    Protools, 2 Event 20/20 Moniters 2 Tr 5 Monitors, 2 Yamaha Monitors, Triton Expanded, Yamaha 24 track digital recorder, Mpc 4000, an iMac and a floor full of records.

If you can support this! http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the...ct/id346684243

kid848 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlib311
    he records at the hit factory. they should have a website check it out and peep what gear they have
    ... he records at quite a few places..

And I believe his unofficial 'home' is Bassline... isn't Hit Factory Storch's spot?

I know he's recording w/ Storch NOW, but he hasn't before

And to the original poster:

Does it really matter? It isn't merely the equipment (which is hte best money can buy unless you're talkin one of his first 3 albums), it's the expertise of the mixing engineer also... which is priceless... even though Guru and Duro put a pretty hefty price on it...lol
    Need Beats?

www.Myspace.com/honesty215

http://www.soundclick.com/honesty
    Exclusive and Non-Exclusive available.
    Pure Heat...

Thanks
    no it probably wouldnt matter if you werent a producer. And stop kidding yourself YOU NEED A GREAT MIC AND PREAMP to get a quality and true sound. Whatever is low quality in the recording chain brings the recording down. You should know this if you produce any GENRE.

Thanks
    He records at numerous studios, even Rick Ruben's home in the past, but if you want to step into the big leagues, you need a preamp in the $1000 and up price range. Focusrite is a big name in the game, but at the same time I gotta tell you Jat-Z's vocals have the presence they do because of him more than the mic's or preamps. It's mainly what he brings out, I'm sure he'd sound the same through an M-box.
    Two things that annoy me are people who are positive out of ignorance, and people who are negative out of bitterness. People who are neither usually get along with me and agree with most of what I say. People who are one of the 2 think I'm the other.
    www.soundclick.com/phukdupbeats
    www.myspace.com/phukdup
    http://twitter.com/PhukdupEnt

Thanks
    Lol! I agree mate nice post.Thanks for the input have a good one.

DiamondStyle is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    What ever microphone Jay-Z uses may not sound good for you.

Most producers have an arsenal of good quality microphones because no one microphone sounds good on every one.

The thing to do is go down to your favorite music/microphone store and try out several makes and models.

kid848 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydave
    no it probably wouldnt matter if you werent a producer. And stop kidding yourself YOU NEED A GREAT MIC AND PREAMP to get a quality and true sound. Whatever is low quality in the recording chain brings the recording down. You should know this if you produce any GENRE.
    I didn't say you didn't need expensive gear... but asking what one specific person uses is next to pointless.

ME>Equipment

Anyday.

That isn't to say that ME's are miracle workers, I know you can't record great quality on a bubble gum budget- that goes w/o saying. But don't undervalue the expertise of the engineer either.
    Need Beats?

www.Myspace.com/honesty215

http://www.soundclick.com/honesty
    Exclusive and Non-Exclusive available.
    Pure Heat...

Thanks
    I hate going down this road because it always gets me the "You don't know anything about engineering" posts, but give me a laptop, any condenser mic(or a good dynamic like the SM58) and an M-box and I can give you the exact same quality as the average rap album. Britney Spears...damn near. We're in the digital ages. Digital I/O 24bit 96kHz if you got that, you got the industry standard. Millions of major release albums are mixed and engineered with nothing but FX plug ins. And recorded directly thru M-Boxes. Even Cheryl Crow did an album like this, yeah, she takes it to someone else to mix, but if it came from an M-Box, how much did the preamp matter?
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 07-05-2006 at 07:38 AM.
    Two things that annoy me are people who are positive out of ignorance, and people who are negative out of bitterness. People who are neither usually get along with me and agree with most of what I say. People who are one of the 2 think I'm the other.
    www.soundclick.com/phukdupbeats
    www.myspace.com/phukdup
    http://twitter.com/PhukdupEnt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information