What else do I need?

I'm a small time producer and rapper. I'm in college so I do live in a dorm. I have 2 studio monitors and 2 bookshelf speakers that back the sound up and increase the highs. I have a drum pad and a 49 key keyboard. I use Logic X and I was wondering what else I need to increase the quality of my production from a hardware perspective. I know its mainly about how you make the sounds mesh but I'm really trying to take my hardware to the next level as well

are you using all 4 speakers/monitors at once? if so, i would advise against it.

cliche answer, but unless there is something that you know you need, just work with what you have. about the only thing i would recommend is investing in the nicest interface you can afford.

I'm a small time producer and rapper. I'm in college so I do live in a dorm. I have 2 studio monitors and 2 bookshelf speakers that back the sound up and increase the highs. I have a drum pad and a 49 key keyboard. I use Logic X and I was wondering what else I need to increase the quality of my production from a hardware perspective. I know its mainly about how you make the sounds mesh but I'm really trying to take my hardware to the next level as well

start by getting rid of the bookshelf speakers.

Hardware? Well, unless you are recording hardware synths or anything through a microphone, you don't need any A/D converters or mic pres or mics...

I have no idea what you DO have ("2 studio monitors, a drum pad and a keyboard" says nothing, but your "drum pad" and midi controller will have no bearing on your sound anyway)....

But the upgradable gear you have is: your monitors and your D/A converter

Room treatment will help.

Monitor placement will help.

but the main thing that will make your music sound beter is your skills as a writer/producer/engineer.

Hardware is a pretty insignificant part of the equation compared to that.

Besides a computer/mouse combo, nothing else is needed.
But adding stuff makes it fun and sometimes faster.
All that stuff you listed dude...really?4 speakers, a program like logic,a 49keypiano, a drum pad too.You have the resources, trust me you already do.

Everything else is just preference.(cough behringer bcf2000 and nanokontrol aren't needed but fun mixers to toy with automation)
:/

you really have more hardware than you need.. maybe some headphones to mix and master.. but look into vst's .. alotta top producers it's just headphones, a small keyboard and sounds/drumkits.

Sorry I forgot to say I do have headphones haha

Headphones are pretty big time so make sure they are comfortable to wear for long periods and they have decent frequency response.

Hardware-wise there's really not a ton more you could need. As someone already mentioned a quality audio interface is pretty important if you are recording anything and it even helps a lot with internal latency and stuff. A good computer is a must too imo. The better the computer, the less time you have to deal with bouncing sounds to free up cpu and it just helps with the workflow possibilities.

Headphones are pretty big time so make sure they are comfortable to wear for long periods and they have decent frequency response.

Hardware-wise there's really not a ton more you could need. As someone already mentioned a quality audio interface is pretty important if you are recording anything and it even helps a lot with internal latency and stuff. A good computer is a must too imo. The better the computer, the less time you have to deal with bouncing sounds to free up cpu and it just helps with the workflow possibilities.

Yea i do have some dre beats I know they're cliche or whatever but I like them a lot. I have a macbook pro so it is more than capable but thanks for the info

start by getting rid of the bookshelf speakers.

Hardware? Well, unless you are recording hardware synths or anything through a microphone, you don't need any A/D converters or mic pres or mics...

I have no idea what you DO have ("2 studio monitors, a drum pad and a keyboard" says nothing, but your "drum pad" and midi controller will have no bearing on your sound anyway)....

But the upgradable gear you have is: your monitors and your D/A converter

Room treatment will help.

Monitor placement will help.

but the main thing that will make your music sound beter is your skills as a writer/producer/engineer.

Hardware is a pretty insignificant part of the equation compared to that.

+1

I really don't think you need to spend money at this point on gear. Focus on this "the main thing that will make your music sound better is your skills as a writer/producer/engineer."

You may be better of putting money towards, room treatment, software, marketing yourself.

Back