what does adding WARMTH mean?

It means your violin probably sounds too sterile or perfect and thus slightly cheesy and weird...or a little odd....it has to do with how we perceive things....for example towards the end of the movie alien 2 there is a scene that obviously uses a green screen because the foreground and fire in the background are both in focus which makes the scene seem fake because it lacks the imperfections of the camera's ability to only focus on one or the other which is what we are used to seeing......what warming up means is adding slight sonic imperfections so that things sound more natural...for example adding a little harmonic distortion....what you want is perfect imperfection.

warmth means more like adding presence in lower mids it's about making the body of the sound rather than the highs or the low-lows dominant

The term is somewhat subjective but yeah what BC said is quite acceptable too, although I would argue that it isn't just simply a matter of applying EQ by itself.

oo i had to get in on this conversation lol. "adding warmth" is just studio slang. for me it means make it sound more..."real". human. this can be done by choosing the "right sound" and EQing "if needed" around the mid and low mid ranges of the EQ scale. funny how they call it adding warmth though because i always look at music like that. high end is always blue (cold) and low end is red (hot). like this waveform here.

images.jpg

the slang will get you every time so do what you've done here and ask questions man.

perhaps, but the last time I heard that phrase used was in the late 80's so you must be hanging out with some very old dudes, and the phrase would not necessarily refer to power so much as level (and whilst the two are inextricably linked by virtue of the way electronic circuits work, they are different when we initially consider levels)

warmth has nothing to do with being human but every thing to do with sound quality

I am inclined to agree but I wouldn't rule it out altogether, I mean if it could be shown to be related to how we perceive human speech to be warm and friendly perhaps, you know in a similar way to the supposed correlation of modes and emotions of human speech for example.

It's just one of those things people say to you when they don't know the proper term. Often you'll get a rapper who will ask for "more warmth" in the vocals for example.

This could mean anything from adding reverb, doing the EQ a different way or a million other adjustments. The more you try to figure out what they mean - the more you'll go crazy. Just focus on a good mix and a great song. Of course they are likely making a legitimate statement, they just don't know how to communicate it to you.

It's not just one of those things people say when they don't know what they are talkin about even though people who don't know what they are talking probably do misue the term. Warmth like most people have already stated on here is about adding more mids via eq to a track or mix it has nothin to do with reverb or delay even though those things can add warmth but it's usually because said effect is colorin the tone and if it sounds "warmer" it's probably because the effect boosted the mids.

It means your violin probably sounds too sterile or perfect and thus slightly cheesy and weird...or a little odd....it has to do with how we perceive things....for example towards the end of the movie alien 2 there is a scene that obviously uses a green screen because the foreground and fire in the background are both in focus which makes the scene seem fake because it lacks the imperfections of the camera's ability to only focus on one or the other which is what we are used to seeing......what warming up means is adding slight sonic imperfections so that things sound more natural...for example adding a little harmonic distortion....what you want is perfect imperfection.

That was brilliant. Thanks for the insight!

I've always used the term 'warmth' related to the EQ. My vote in this goes to the mid-low reasoning.

Back