What do you convert to mono?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I am using maschine and i am using this new approach I am trying where I use pro tools as my sequencer and what not and I just make a pattern or loop on maschine and drag and export it to pro tools as either a stereo or mono file and lay out the beat. I know that the drums of course should be mono and I assume most samples should be stereo, however it got me wondering about other things like effects or like other instruments u add into the track or whatever. Basically I'm wondering what all u guys prefer to mono? do you mono sound effects such as transition fxs or screams? do you mono only your drums and leave everything else stereo? let me know!

What sounds you decide to to be mono or stereo depends on your preference. I typically like to keep percussion, basses, and at least one vocal track in mono. I like to have effects in stereo (usually go for a wide stereo image). I also usually keep my instruments in stereo (except basses).

With that said, you can always do what you want. I've head excellent mixes with kicks and basses that weren't mono.

depends where everything else is. Panning is about making everything fit into the panorama as a whole mix, not just about where one thing might go. Or if my drums will be mono or not. Make everything fit together and it won't really matter how you did it.. Pay attention to which instruments are playing at a certain time of the song, where they are at that time, etc..

Last edited:
vocals ofc and BASS the reason being that if you were to play your track in a big space you want to bass to feel the same throughout the whole room

Back