The Way I Master

RyanTrapstar

What I do is make sure my mix it good, after i mix it i export it as a wav. file to it's highest quality. After I have the wav file in my playlist I normalize it to 0Db. After that I open up maximus and compres all the high parts of the song down to make it more equal. I do that for the mids and the low of it. After that I add a fruity limiter and turn it up until it hits that green bar. Then I add a soundgoodizer to it.

What do you think of my style? what do you think I should improve on or i should do?

remove the normalise step - you are making it tough for the other parts of your processing chain to do much at all

Yeah don't normalize it, keep some headroom, generally keep the highest peak at somewhere around -3 to -6 dBFS.

Make sure that your moves in the mastering have a certain purpose, listen to your track and do what's necessary... carefully.
Don't do anything because you normally have done it.

Personally I'm not that fund of the Soundgoodizer, since it's just a number of selected presets from Maximus actually, and many times it may not be what your track needs in the mastering stage (I'm also not that fund of the thing with doing a huge thing with just 1 knob).

Also, the limiter is normally the last part in the processing chain, since anything done after it can reintroduce peaks making the limiter's purpose pretty pointless (unless you add another limiter later on and such).

Further on, what about EQ? I bet there's mostly something that needs to be fixed tone-wise.

Welldone

Remember u only master when comparing two songs. Make sure u ar using all these pluggings because they are neccessary, if nt, they should mostly be used during mixing

to be honest... i dont like to master my tracks at all.
I try to make everything knock as much as possible directly in the mixing process while making a beat.
I have a Limiter/Soundgoodizer/Bitcrusher on send channels etc. linked to all my tracks in the project.
So i basically master and mix everything directly while making the beat.

Normalizing isn't a technical problem because it prevents any possible clipping. But, because it's done according the peak values, normalizing often leads to volume inconsistencies from track to track. Its a major issue for a mastering job. Using a floating point audio format is clearly the best solution.

What I do is make sure my mix it good, after i mix it i export it as a wav. file to it's highest quality. After I have the wav file in my playlist I normalize it to 0Db. After that I open up maximus and compres all the high parts of the song down to make it more equal. I do that for the mids and the low of it. After that I add a fruity limiter and turn it up until it hits that green bar. Then I add a soundgoodizer to it.

What do you think of my style? what do you think I should improve on or i should do?

The biggest problem here is all you are doing is making it louder...A true mastering engineer enjoys the challenge of making audio sound as good as possible, removing sonic errors and balancing the frequencies, Now in theory your music should be balance if you made the track yourself...which is where the next problem lies. If you master in the same studio your master will not fix any problems that your mix had....you have an incredibly biased ear to your own tunes.

I'd recommend find an audio master engineer who enjoys the challenge of making audio sound good, you'd be amazed about what you can learn with your music

Back