Waves CENTER plugin or AIR plugin for mastering

Hey, while to be honest I'm not a fan of some elements of the mix itself, I think version 2 sounds noticeably better. The song is more congealed and blended in a pleasing way.

I thought the same about mix 2. Hopefully more people will chime in
Please tell me what you don't like about the mix. I always want to get better. Thanks

Hey Yorgo,

The two biggest things for me were the lack of low end on the kick and the piano in the chorus. The kick has a nice sounding smack, but no real thud at all. Compare that to your tom, which carries some weight. The kick frequently is completely lost when the song is not in one of the sparser sections. Even when the kick is given room, it just lacks authority due to the lack of low end.

In terms of the piano, the timing seems a touch off (frequently a touch too soon, this is most noticeable in the second note of the third couplet), and overall it just pokes out a touch too much. It also seems like there are maybe some slight tuning issues between the piano and the rest of the instrumentation here, but that also could be due to which frequencies are being emphasized due to eq.

The other thing is some slight tightening of the vocal layers in terms of the timing in the chorus in particular would help. The starts and ends of some of the words in a few places are too different, so it undermines the effect you're going for.

Thanks for sharing.... the piano....I can't believe I didn't notice the timing. you are so right! It is out of time and it's driving me nuts because I notice it. I'll to rerecord that part.
The vocals I can't say Hear it. I thought they were the best part. The only way I could tighten them up is to melodyne them....which I will be getting soon.

The kick....you are so right. This was my biggest battle. I can't believe how much the kick affects the whole mix. Befor I started mixing, it was muddy, and after cleaning up the kick, it cleaned everything by about 80%. What I did was use a high pass filter to about 112hz....too much?
When I had it at 70hz. It was too much thud and weird sounding. I also put a compressor...Too much?

Again not sure to make that kick better?
Thanks again DGT

Regarding the vocals, I'm not saying it's a tuning issue. It's a word timing and/or duration issue. Your background/rhythm vox frequently don't start and end when your lead does. I'm not saying you want every vocal part to have the exact same start and end for every word, but I'm saying there's too much variance sometimes. For example, at about 1:49 the line that starts "It takes me to…", the harmony part is a bit too much behind the lead, listen to the starts of the words "takes" and "to", that hard "t" sound just drags a bit too much behind. Other points in the song the harmony/background vox end a little too late, so it doesn't sound as tight as it could.

Check out this page, there's text and video which will explain what I mean. Tighter Vocal Harmonies

In regards the kick, it all depends on the kick you're using. I do think hi-passing to 112Hz is generally too much for this type of song (obviously specifics matter). But that's a pretty clear reason why there's no thump to the kick. Regarding compression, did you do parallel compression or was your only kick channel running through the compressor?

I hear what you are saying about the vocals. I'd have to use a program to adjust the start and end time. But I do know what you mean now.

On the kick I used a compressor just on the kick. I think you're right that the hp filtler was too high at 112hz. I think all I need is around is around 80hz. One mix i had done before at 50hz and it sounded too strange

Regarding compression, did you do parallel compression or was your only kick channel running through the compressor?

yorgo said:
On the kick I used a compressor just on the kick.

What I mean is, is the compressor you used on the kick used as an insert on the kick channel, or do you have kick channel without a compressor insert and a send from that kick channel to an aux that had a compressor on it?

Aaahhh. I get it.... Sorry. Still very new to DAW world.. Used to use a multitracker.... Anyways. Used an insert on the kick drum.... Is that the better way?

#2 sounded better.

Not sure about all the other critiques, sounded like a decent rock mix to me.

If anything, I'd TURN UP THE GAIN KNOB A LITTLE on the drums, no reason to go thru all this other stuff, and, IMO the "off time" piano sounded natural and organic. Sounds like you had to quantize on a daw....or...like it was maybe a real piano recording in a session where humanity was captured rather than the same old cut/paste run of the mill computerized crap that we've come to familiarize with???

Just my opinions, but, Your bass is driving the low end of the track well. I'd turn up the kick a little, just a little to give more presence, and call it a day. No need to overpower a kick like you'd do in other genres. Nice job, sir. Leave those offset pianos alone, they sound fine where they sit in the song. Play it for as many guys as you can find who are rock music lovers and not ELECTRONIC/HIP HOP PROUCERS(not saying ALL guys chiming in are...) like the majority of this board, and I doubt you'll hear anything needs more/different compression or that piano is wrong. :cheers:

Last edited:
Hey yorgo, the "better way" is whichever way sounds best for your song. It also matters what the compression is being used for and what you are trying to get out of it.

Also, I listen to a lot of rock and metal if that somehow makes my opinion valid.

Last edited:
Hey yorgo, the "better way" is whichever way sounds best for your song. It also matters what the compression is being used for and what you are trying to get out of it.

Also, I listen to a lot of rock and metal if that somehow makes my opinion valid.

Hey dgt,
what I'm trying achieve is a kick drum with some presence and nice thud. Most music (rock)nowadays the drums get lost.....and I don't want that. I think it's what you meant by what you said in your first post which is what I was chasing but had a hard time finding the right balance.
and for the record dgt your opinions were right on regardless of whatever music you listen. Point is I want to get better and I need look at the nuances (tightening the vocals) and obvious things like the piano if I want to make it better.....I thank you for that!!!

hey deranged, thanks for listening and I appreciate the kind words. I know what you mean by having things to sterile. I want to stay away from it sounding like that for sure. But that piano at the one point is very off. The others I wouldn't bother replacing because it does have an organic feel. I agree that the bass fills it in quite nicely.....it's just missing that listening something. I'm being critical because I want to learn as much as I can to take a mix from good to AMAZING....that's all

thank you both ...cheers guys!

In all fairness, after listening to the song, I skimmed the thread to make my post. I didn't realize all posts were from one other guy, so it may seem like I was completely challenging his views. I actually thought multiple members had chimed in, I would've worded things differently if I realized only one other opinion was being offered. i apologize to you for that, DTG.

I also was under the impression the piano comment was in reference to the pianos through the entire song not a specific part.

And while I'll again say your bass is driving the low end well and I personally wouldn't compromise that by pushing the kick harder, I will agree(after fully reading)that you're cutting alot of the low end at 112hz. If I had seen that info, I would've agreed to cut alot lower. 80hz is a way better spot.

But I will say again, that is a great recording and sounds like a rock record. I'm talking rock, not "fusion' where drum machines and samplers are being used as well. I enjoyed the organic sound of it. You don't want to drown that out with concerns of things that exist in other genres of music like "perfectly timed everything" and overwhelming low end. :cheers:

Last edited:
Deranged, very we'll said. You are gentleman!

And thank you for this......
"But I will say again, that is a great recording and sounds like a rock record. I'm talking rock, not "fusion' where drum machines and samplers are being used as well. I enjoyed the organic sound of it. You don't want to drown that out with concerns of things that exist in other genres or music like"
it is quite the compliment ...

cheers brother!

Back