Vocals coming from left side of headphones only(outside of pro tools)

StanleySteamer

Ok the problem I am having is sort of complicated, at least from what I can see. Ok so I have a mic and it runs into my interface box which runs into my computer. Pretty standard. I use the Scarlett 2i4 red box and its pretty good so far. My issue is when I press the red button on my box to turn on the mic, it automatically starts picking up sounds and vocals but it only plays through the left ear. And its not the headphones because one I tried it on different headsets and its the same results. When I open a track on pro tools and get ready to record on a mono track, it seems like it all goes to sample once I enable record on the track and it seems like all the vocals shift in the center as I am recording. The problem is I like to mute my vocal track as I am recording and unmute it when I want to play it back. So when I am recording with the track on mute, I still can hear my voice in the playback of the headphones and its only in the left ear. Its been a huge problem for me any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Check the input. For me, two of the options are on one side, and the other is mono. As far as the shifting, the panning is so much less obvious when there is a track behind the vocals, so it seems centered.

my gut reaction is that this may be how the inputs are panned internally in the interface

i.e mic is left, instrument is right, a more than normal approach - maybe you need to adjust this in the interface sw/drivers...

Open up the automation lanes and make sure there are NO breakpoints in the lane for panning. Just a straight line the whole way through. If there are any breakpoints in Pro Tools automation lanes it will automatically snap to that side as soon as you start playback without you knowing why. Happens to me a lot with volume automation. The fader will keep snapping back to a certain point and it won't stop until I realize there is accidentally a breakpoint somehow in the automation lane. I don't know how these breakpoints create themselves, but sometimes they do. Or else I'm doing it and not knowing..but either way.

Last edited:
thanks for the response guys. without pro tools open at all it is still only playing sound in the left ear once i press the red button on my box. any more suggestions?

Thanks for the response. I prolly will contact them. I think I fixed my issue just one more thing. I hate hearing myself as I record and when I mute my track in pro tools I can still hear my voice coming through the input of my mic and playing back through my headset even though the track in pro tools the vocals are being recorded on is muted. Without pro tools even being open when I press the red light on my box and power the mic I can already get to hear vocal inputs on the mic. How can I get it so the mic is only open when the red light is on when pro tools is open and the track is ready? I want to be able to mute vocals on track while recording I used to be able to do it and all of sudden my settings randomly changed

Thanks for the response. I prolly will contact them. I think I fixed my issue just one more thing. I hate hearing myself as I record and when I mute my track in pro tools I can still hear my voice coming through the input of my mic and playing back through my headset even though the track in pro tools the vocals are being recorded on is muted. Without pro tools even being open when I press the red light on my box and power the mic I can already get to hear vocal inputs on the mic. How can I get it so the mic is only open when the red light is on when pro tools is open and the track is ready? I want to be able to mute vocals on track while recording I used to be able to do it and all of sudden my settings randomly changed

Control/Command + K toggles input monitoring if thats the problem

Last edited:
If you have direct monitoring enabled on the interface and it's set to stereo, you'll hear your voice through the interface - on one channel, which would mean one ear in this case - even when no DAW is running.

Back