Vocal Widening

duplicate it. leave the first one how it is, take the duplicate you made and slide it right a TINY bit. pan the original 100% left pan the duplicate 100% right. haas effect. you might have to level them with your volume faders so they sound even in volume.

or you can double or stack your vocals....

adt, stack, haas, one shot delays at 20-40ms, panned right and left of the main, record them again,.... double them, stack, triple rack and auto-double-track them (add flanger and water to taste)

If you want your vocals wide you have to double or stack... unless you want some cheesy effect that usuaaly will sound idiotic.

Like everyone else has said, double your vocal tracks up and pan them. A minimum of 3 tracks is a good start.

Or you can try a subtle stereo delay, and a bit of reverb with the centre of the image reduced. You can duplicate your tracks twice and move them in the arrange window slightly and pitch shift by about 5-9cents each way. This is similar to the effect your would get using he waves doubler.

I need a vst plugin that will let me widen my vocals. And please don't tell me double or stack my vocals.

There is no vst plugin that will do this. Only techniques. You can use delays and reverb to create a sense of width. Or you can create a faux double with volume, pitch, and timing rides tucked underneath. Or you can SUBTLY use a Shuffler.

At the core of it however, a vocal is a MONO signal. It therefore does not have stereo width. Cause that's how reality works.

Your post kind of reads like this:

I need something that will let me turn my blue into purple. And please don't tell me to use any red.

Last edited:
Check out Izotope nectar vocal suite, good plugin for vocals. The only real way to get a genuine wide sound is to double your vocals and stereo pan them though.

All these Dope Engineers..lol Excited, my B. But everyone has already spoke on it. Waves has a Stereo Imager that can widen them to a degree. But stacking usually does the trick. Sometimes Ill do 3-5 takes of the exact same style, then Ill tell the artist to do it again but in a diff way. That way I have multiple styles to choose from & stacks so I can Comp them together; what I need.

Reverb, as Dave Pensado says makes things "front the back" and panning "left to right." Which I thought was a great analogy. what type of track is it? Is this a Hook you want "wider?" Stacking, harmonies, dubs, ad libs, all of that thickens the audio. Then you can pick & choose what you want to use.

Slight delays, reverbs, pitch shifting by a few cents. Idk what style of music your trying to use this method for but most hip-hop/rap vocals are tight & in your face with low if any type of ad libs. Take a listen to the radio or pick up an album & take a listen for yourself. Hope this helps. Peace

Here is a free plugin that is an easy shortcut to using the haas effect to widen mono to stereo
i cant post the link yet, so google Vesco FX, free haas plugin. It is a pain free solution for you.
Please support free VST developers!

first dynamics fill the "room up". then eq to suit,then ensemble (2 to 3 voice) combined perhaps with a chorus. Adjust levels by ear. then delay and reverb.

Last edited:
The best plugin I've run into is called like ADT vocal doubler or delay or something? It's free and sounds good next to the Waves 2 doubler so try it out.

Use an effect that has a mono to stereo option, be it a delay, reverb or chorus etc
So the vocal is mono but the effect via the return is stereo and you blend it in.

Or try a stereo delay hard panned with one side 100 %wet and one 100% dry.

:))) you can simply double or stack your vocals :))))) i advise you not use any plugin to widen any track... maybe just a doubler

Back