Using Multiple Snares

berlioz

Hi, I am a prog house producer and I use Logic Pro. I have been producing for 3 years now. I am currently working on a track that I find needs to use different types of snare (not stacked). However, when I quickly transition between the two different snares (say, within the same measure) it sounds choppy and awful. Is there a method of getting away with using two different snares within the same measure?

There sure is. I actually employ several snares per piece more often than I use one or two, lends a sense of rhythm variance to the piece you're working on. Instead of treating each snare as a one-shot sample, work them in to a mixer and treat them together, give them some charm. In some cases, if the samples sound chopped and cut-up, try giving them a little atmosphere, perhaps a very mild delay with some lowpass on it, to fill out the gaps between them, can treat the resulting sound as a loop. In many cases, it helps to treat almost every single sound you process as a loop instead of a single sample. I do it myself for the performance aspect, with things like hi-hat riffs to bass drums. Try giving them some light ambience, or perhaps some stereo width with a tiny bit of low-end punch and some warm saturation:

One rhythm change I like to employ using two snares that gives a more varied rhythm effect is keeping the first snare of two in a single bar tight and monoized, with the second snare widely-mixed with plenty of pop and a pleasant amount of mid-spank, or vice versa:

Perhaps quietly mix in a bit of hi-hat with the two snares and mix them together, might lend a stronger sense of structure to the two sounds, make them sound less cut-and-dry. Creativity is always the answer.

Last edited:
By the same measure, I mean for measure 56 I use (in terms of quarter notes. 4/4 timing): snare 1, snare 1, snare 1, snare 2

You can use as many snares as you want, it'll give the track something different and raise the interest by the listener.

But I wouldn't leave both at the same percieved volume, I'd use one as a main snare, and the second (or more) as "ghost" snares, by just messing with the ASDR and velocities.

You can use as many snares as you want, it'll give the track something different and raise the interest by the listener.

But I wouldn't leave both at the same percieved volume, I'd use one as a main snare, and the second (or more) as "ghost" snares, by just messing with the ASDR and velocities.

how do you change velocities on an sample snare file?

you do not change the velocity on the sample but in the daw and in the daw everyone uses the same parameter - velocity -where you access is dependent on your daw's midi editing functionality

Hi, I am a prog house producer and I use Logic Pro. I have been producing for 3 years now. I am currently working on a track that I find needs to use different types of snare (not stacked). However, when I quickly transition between the two different snares (say, within the same measure) it sounds choppy and awful. Is there a method of getting away with using two different snares within the same measure?

What are you trying to achieve with layering? What do you have in your mind? :)

If you'd like to add some brightness and clap feeling you can also use claps/hats by removing the low/mids and give it a bit of voluem in the mix.

It really depends on what your aim is

Back