Track sounds ridiculous when played back in any media player

crimsonhawk47

I have never had this problem before. I am using my sennheisers to make this track, and I bounce it out of Pro Tools.

I played it back in windows media player with the same headphones and what I heard was odd. This isn't the first time I've bounced audio and I have not heard this. The bass was boosted to ridiculous, boomy levels. It was muddy, and it just sounded plain bad.

So I thought there could be a number of things I could do

1)I need to see how wav stacks up with the mp3 I originally bounced
2) I need to bounce to disk instead of the whole recording into audio track thing and exporting as a file (even though I know a lot of great sounding tracks are bounced this way, and I also hear this has it's own automatic dither
3) I need to see if Pro Tools normalizes bouncing.
4) I need to dither when I bounce out the file
5) I need to try different playback programs.
6) While it wasn't clipping, it was higher in the levels than usual. Maybe I should put a limiter on just to make sure it's not clipping in any way.
7) I should see if the exported file sounds just as bad once it's reimported into Pro Tools.

1) The wav sounded just as bad as the original. Still boomy, still absurd.
2) So I tried the original bounce to disk (admittedly, I did Pro Tools 11's new offline bounce, but surely this isn't a problem?) This one I just tried as an mp3. Still terrible quality.
3) From what I have looked up, I don't see a hidden setting that's normalizing my audio. Maybe my playback software is normalizing it and I just need a more balanced mix?
4) I tried the regular Pro Tools Dither. No luck there.
5) I tried windows media player, quick time, then downloaded spotify and imported the playlist from windows media. No luck.
6) Limiter on (while it did close the gap between bass boominess and volume of other instruments) did not help that much.
7) With the file reimported into pro tools, it sounded nice and clean again, so it doesn't seem like it's the export itself.

Any ideas?

Does it sound weird to you? I know you don't have perspective from the original version.

Now that I think about it, when I had monitors I never listened to the output bounce on them. I always sent it to my phone or something and listen on my 280's. Now I am bouncing it out and can hear a huge difference when I use the same headphones, which could account for a whole slew of problems I've been having......

I'll check if it's pcm encoded.

1) get yourself gomplayer
2) turn of eq in whatever players you are using (they normally have some ridiculous default eq settings that colour your sound markedly)
3) always bounce to pcm wav or aiff
4) use an external program to do your conversion to mp3

1) get yourself gomplayer
2) turn of eq in whatever players you are using (they normally have some ridiculous default eq settings that colour your sound markedly)
3) always bounce to pcm wav or aiff
4) use an external program to do your conversion to mp3
I tried the wav file with gomplayer. Still sounded odd. Windows media player had no eq settings off of neutral.

I will see if I'm doing something wrong with the pcm part of bouncing.

I can't imagine I'm doing anything wrong there...
Especially when I import it back to pro tools and it sounds fine.
Is there a reason it would sound bad everywhere except back in Pro Tools?

If I bounce it out from the file menu...

Bounce Source: Hd audio output 1-2 (stereo)

Wav

Add to Mp3: Unchecked

Format: Interleaved

Bit Depth: 24 bit

Sample Rate: 44.1khz

Enforce Media Composer Compatability: Unchecked

Import after bounce: Unchecked (did this manually)

Add to itunes library: Unchecked

Share with: None

File name directory bla bla

Offline bounce: checked.

If you import a random song, not of your own, into PT does it sound different than when played through a media player?

I just downloaded a couple of eminem tracks from my amazon mp3.

I definitely hear a difference between PT and windows media player. But it feels less about bass and more about folding to mono in windows. Not completely to mono, but the stereo image definitely collapses.

**EDIT**

I don't think the fact that it folds to mono is the only issue. If I fold the track to mono within PT the bass does not go crazy like it does in windows.

Last edited:
Currently nothing. Just ASIO. Though that shouldn't mess with my playback should it? (in a dorm, didn't get a focusrite yet).

Last edited:
I dont know man sorry, I dont know much about ASIO. You can try looking for newer drivers for whatever you internal soundcard is, that could help.. Double check you havent got a WOW bass or SRS enhancement setting on somewhere.. Have a google of ASIO drivers/wmp probelms.. Otherwise Im out of ideas :/

Back