Studio Monitors, what's the most accurate?

You assume as though I've actually been ignoring every relevant post that's come through aha
Don't worry, I've taken all input into account, I think I'm going to go for the HS8s with the way things are headed.
I just wanted to make sure that I've made my intentions for this thread clear when posting on this thread is all.
Hence the extra attention for m.c.gray. xD
What made you decide to get the adams instead?
The price is pretty hefty I'm sure they're great, did you listen to them beforehand or?
How you went from hs8 to a7x I'm guessing money wasn't an issue aha
I mean one of those speakers cost nearly as much as a pair of hs8s!

Money was an issue, Im a student. I pretty much spent everything I had at the time on those speakers. And yes I was in the show room for like an hour listening back and forth.

I could have spent less and not have been broke after I bought the adams but then I wouldnt be able to listen to these adams everyday. Id be missing out and wouldnt have even realized it. I couldn't imagine sitting down and listening to yamahas everyday after having access to these adams.

I felt shitty about buying them at first, but then they quickly made me realize it was worth it. Would have been a waste to buy the yamahas cuz id probably want a better pair later anyway. With these things they are great for listening and for mixing. And the clarity..wowww. I live in an apartment where noise with monitors SHOULD be an issue but with my ADAMs I can play them so low and still hear everything perfectly. The clarity, stereo image..everything about them is awesome. Would never have known how much I was missing out if I would have went with the yamahas. But trust me, when you buy cheaper speakers you are missing out. You just might not realize it until you get the better ones.

Not to say the yamahas won't do..im just saying its well worth the extra money. Its not like they're a pair of ear buds you can lose.

Last edited:
My setup is currently in the middle of the vatican church.

Pwahahahaha! Quality.

Once everyone had finished totally missing your sarcasm and then attacking you, there were some valid points here.

I'd have to agree with Yumid, even though the last time it was me he was aggressively prodding :/

For me your monitors are the first and most important piece of kit, after all it's what you're actually listening to! You've asked what are the most accurate... well unfortunately accuracy costs money.

The jump from £400 / £500 monitors to £800 / £1000 monitors is very pronounced, and arguably more so than other jumps in price.

I was in a similar situation, and was umming and ahhing about £500 monitors. In the end I scrimped and saved a bit longer and went for a pair of £1000 monitors. That was over 10 years ago and I still love them and use them as my nearfields. I've used a large variety of monitors in other studios, from £100 per pair to over £50k and I never regret my purchase. They have 6" woofers, are detailed, are not fatiguing and I know them inside out... Everything I need. I won't tell you what as you should make your own choice by ear.

When it comes to outboard gear my advice would be to save and buy gear that will last you forever. Much better to have a few bits of great kit than lots of average stuff.

I'd recommend going to your local high-end audio dealer and asking to shoot out some monitors with 6" woofers (take some songs you know well).

In the £800-£1000 range try listening to (in no particular order) Focal, Adam, PMC, Dynaudio, Genelec etc. and see what you like. Then compare those to the Yamahas.

Whatever happens, good luck with it mate!

I'd have to agree with Yumid, even though the last time it was me he was aggressively prodding :/
For me your monitors are the first and most important piece of kit, after all it's what you're actually listening to! You've asked what are the most accurate... well unfortunately accuracy costs money.
The jump from £400 / £500 monitors to £800 / £1000 monitors is very pronounced, and arguably more so than other jumps in price.
I was in a similar situation, and was umming and ahhing about £500 monitors. In the end I scrimped and saved a bit longer and went for a pair of £1000 monitors.
I've used a large variety of monitors in other studios, from £100 per pair to over £50k and I never regret my purchase.
When it comes to outboard gear my advice would be to save and buy gear that will last you forever. Much better to have a few bits of great kit than lots of average stuff.
I'd recommend going to your local high-end audio dealer and asking to shoot out some monitors with 6" woofers (take some songs you know well).
In the £800-£1000 range try listening to (in no particular order) Focal, Adam, PMC, Dynaudio, Genelec etc. and see what you like. Then compare those to the Yamahas.
Whatever happens, good luck with it mate!

Someone who recognises sarcasm? I don't believe.
I see where you and yumid are coming from seriously.
I AM that guy that believes in quality over quantity.
But unless I have enough people donating £1 a month to the me in need foundation I'm going to have to settle for something under the £500 bracket for now, although I wouldn't exactly call it settling, there are a few monitors here and there that I'm confident will do the job just fine.
Believe me, I would of just shot straight for the most ridiculously priced monitors if I had the money,
Genelec is going to have to wait(;
There is indeed a place nearby I could check out, the thing is is that they only have the following (Worth mentioning)..
Adam, Genelec, KRK, JBL.
Have you heard what the adam F7s sound like?
I also have my eyes on the KRK VXT6 aswell, I'd appreciate your thoughts if you have any input on them.

Last edited:
To be honest, the only new model KRKs I've used are the Rockit. A producer I know has them, they're OK. The old model KRKs are excellent, the discontinued 9000B are seriously nice.

The only Adams I've used were their original range of S3a twin drivers, a studio I worked at had them on demo for ages. The tweeters are very detailed. I know an engineer I trust who swears by the Adam A7x (with the 7" woofer), so if you're going for Adams it may be worthwhile spending the extra £200 over the F7s?

I actually have a pair of Genelec 8040A, and I love them. I liked Genelec from using their discontinued 1031A, some people hate Genelecs though. They are quite vibey, and you have to get used to them. They're nice to listen to, which doesn't make them the most honest speakers. I just like he vibe, but I personally wouldn't go for less than the 6.5" woofers (8040), and they're well over a grand these days. Although they've just brought out the 8040Bs so there are some deals to be done on old stock 8040As!

Go and shoot out the VXT6s, the F7s and the A7xs at your place nearby and see what you think - you might have a clear favourite.

I would expect that the A7xs would be the clear winner, and a quick search shows some shops selling them for around £670 a pair... a little 10% haggling and that's a great buy.

Ask Yumid as well, he said he bought the A7xs...

Yeah I've already read yumid's input on em.
Unfortunately the A7x isn't being sold over there.
But the F7s are which was why I asked.
They have quite a handful of JBL monitors aswell, I don't suppose you could recommend a few models I should pay some attention to?

Hi, I've been looking to invest into a pair of studio monitors for some time now but I don't want to end up purchasing a pair only to end up wanting to get another just because.
So the best thing to do from the VERY beginning is to get the most accurate sounding monitors, right?
I know there's many of you who say 'it's all about your personal preference'.
But I'm asking of your suggestions based on what is the most flat responsive monitor that you know,
which should be the ONLY real reason why people should be getting studio monitors in the first place!
Aaaand, go.

I've never seen such a perfect question to answer..

After spending all of my money on the most recommended, high quality nearfield monitors out there (ended up being over 2 grand), I realized one thing:

You want your mix to sound good on the typical consumer device.

That's it!

I could go into all this sound treatment advice and all that, but effective sound treatment takes time so I'll say **** that and instead say this:

Buy a single auratone mixcube (active). That will be your god of mixing - Flat freq response and all that good shit plus it's way better to judge the initial balance from a single source - one speaker instead of two.

Then buy a cheap pair of studio monitors or even those little desktop monitors for rough panning/depth settings.

Then a pair of headphones to catch those little mf'in sounds that are way out of balance but for some reason seem fine on the previous two devices.

And because I've assumed you don't know about sound treatment thus far - Just do this. Go ahead and buy a few 1ft x 1ft acoustic foam panels to place halfway between you and the auratone if it's on a solid surface like a desk, but mostly always balance your songs at a low volume.

That will solve most of your sound treatment problems by itself.

Beyond that, ain't nobody got time for details.

I've never seen such a perfect question to answer..

After spending all of my money on the most recommended, high quality nearfield monitors out there (ended up being over 2 grand), I realized one thing:

You want your mix to sound good on the typical consumer device.

That's it!

I could go into all this sound treatment advice and all that, but effective sound treatment takes time so I'll say **** that and instead say this:

Buy a single auratone mixcube (active). That will be your god of mixing - Flat freq response and all that good shit plus it's way better to judge the initial balance from a single source - one speaker instead of two.

Then buy a cheap pair of studio monitors or even those little desktop monitors for rough panning/depth settings.

Then a pair of headphones to catch those little mf'in sounds that are way out of balance but for some reason seem fine on the previous two devices.

And because I've assumed you don't know about sound treatment thus far - Just do this. Go ahead and buy a few 1ft x 1ft acoustic foam panels to place halfway between you and the auratone if it's on a solid surface like a desk, but mostly always balance your songs at a low volume.

That will solve most of your sound treatment problems by itself.

Beyond that, ain't nobody got time for details.

haha, well, I try.. (;
I'm leaning more towards getting a pair of monitors instead, but thanks for your input anyways.
The thing that I plan on doing in my current situation right now is
get a pair of monitors, mix with them, then use 2 very nice pair of headphones that I own as point of references,
so I guess I'm already kinda following your advice anyways aha

Last edited:
Back