sound bouncing off room

Frocco

Hi, i'm currently planning out my home studio and have a quick question.

The room that I am planning to make a small studio for is going to have acoustic drums with cymbals in it, and I was wondering if when I am mixing and mastering through monitors, will it be a problem for me due to the monitors bouncing sounds off my drums/cymbals?

I am going to try my best to put acoustic treatment by buying auralex foam and putting it on the wall but do not have enough money for bass traps because they are too expensive ;).

If it is a problem, can someone give me a couple ideas as to what I can do?

Yep, drums tend to pick up vibrations and...vibrate & resonate. I (personally) don't think cymbals are gonna be a problem, but the shells can give off all kinds of noises.

As for treatment, Auralex (or other foams) is the least effective method to get anything done. There are plenty of instructions online to make inexpensive DIY basstraps & acoustic panels, so I'd probably look into that before buying anything.

So i'm doomed :cry:!?!?? Would putting a tarp on top of the drums do anything? Is There really nothing I can do about the drums?

sadly no. a tarp may help to dampen some stuff but it will not stop the shells and skins from resonating at their tuned pitch.

If you have no choice, at least make sure that you drop the snare latch so that you don't get snare rattles when mixing

At the very least I'd try to isolate the drums by putting a screen around them etc. Basically making a false wall between you and the kit. Acoustic foam panels are fine for sorting out early reflections and flutter echo's as long as you place them in the key locations (theres loads of info out there as to where they need to be placed) and these will help tame the highs, but bass trapping is always going to be number 1 in a great sounding room as standing waves can cause problems, especially in small rooms.

As mentioned, decent bass traps can be made on a low budget using Rockwool or similar insulating materials, just google 'home made bass traps'.

At the end of the day, budget is an issue for many many folks, spending the time getting to know the room's sound and your monitors placement in it and you'll learn to contract any room issues, but to get things really tight and professional sounding you are going to want to treat those corners!

Back