Should the track be mastered.

no ego. I didn't post anything on here looking for your acceptance. I just posted to give information to the person who asked the question. All you had to do was say "hey, I see why you may think that, but this is actually what it is" by doing that now everyone learns. but hey.. my bad. You inboxed him, that's better. But yea, I'll walk away as well. Me and my ego.

Did you read the linked comment all the way down through the small italicized text?

-Ki
Salem Beats

You're right I suppose. But the question at hand was fairly simple, the OP was wondering if he should bother to get a track mastered or not. And I think that it has been answered quite clearly already.

I would like to think that I contribute to the forums to the best of my abilities, trying to answer as much as I can about things that I feel that I'm certain of, this is just one that did get a lot more attention than it needed because of misleading statements by some people who maybe should've left their comments out completely instead.

That's good to know. I helped answer the question, as well as his secondary question to give "mastering in a nutshell". Not why you even have to go back and forth with me. But I guess this is how forums work.

I just believe that no information is probably better than the wrong information. I did not mean to offend anyone, and certainly can't accurately produce a tone of voice while writing in a language that is not native to me to help communicate my intentions better.

Last edited:
Did you read the linked comment all the way down through the small italicized text?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Yea. I read it to the last piece of punctuation.
I don't take what you said personal, only reason why I felt the urge to reply to your statement was because it didn't give any insight on what was said. But, that's none of my business. Only until you brought the issue about an ego, of which did not influence my reason for posting. .

But yea, nothing personal. Would be great to hear your insight on mixing & mastering. I'm still learning as well and just shared my thoughts from experience.

I just believe that no information is probably better than the wrong information. I did not mean to offend anyone, and certainly can't accurately produce a tone of voice while writing in a language that is not native to me to help communicate my intentions better.

No doubt, I agree. But if an answer is given and you know that it's incorrect, why not take the opportunity to give the correct answer? And bro, No offense was taken, I'm just stating my reason just as much as anyone else here. That's what makes music so amazing because there's different ways to doing things and insight.

Ok, so mastering is not only about making things as loud as possible. It's used to alleviate the track from any issues that might be present. It can add a cohesive sound to the entire track rather than rogue sounds and frequencies jumping all over the place, to ensure the best possible reproduction of music across many different playback systems. The mastering engineer should use his own ears and mind, objective thinking as well as equipment and what not to enhance the audio as much as possible.

It includes making sure that one track on an album is not much louder than another,gaps between tracks.. etc etc..

I'm a little fuzzy on the subject myself, but here's a more extensive read to give you a broader view;
What is audio mastering | What is mastering

Hopefully this have cleared up any misunderstandings that we had initially and that your faith in me has been restored.

No doubt, I agree. But if an answer is given and you know that it's incorrect, why not take the opportunity to give the correct answer? And bro, No offense was taken, I'm just stating my reason just as much as anyone else here. That's what makes music so amazing because there's different ways to doing things and insight.

A thorough mastering engineer investigates every possible aspect of a song to make it sound competitive as possible amongst its peers,
and attempts to fix any technical issues which might be preventing the song from reaching its potential.

This includes keeping an ear out for, and potentially modifying:
-Loudness.
-Width.
-Depth.
-Tonality.
-Transient information.
-Mono compatibility.
-Broadcast compliance.
-Dynamic progression.
-Distortion.
-Noise.
-Siblance.
-Resonance.
-etc., I could keep going on for a bit.

Saying "no" and leaving it at that is simply easier than repeatedly typing lists like this.

What do you do when a client sends you something for mastering, it's already louder than it should be, and he doesn't own the mix?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Thanks bros. and Salem, I was wondering about that. If someone doesn't own the mix, how do you go about mastering? Because I've done it a few times, but sometimes there are just hidden problems in the mix that you can't get to if you don't have the trackouts. What are your thoughts?

sometimes there are just hidden problems in the mix that you can't get to if you don't have the trackouts. What are your thoughts?

Well, if you want to keep your clients, you create hidden solutions to those hidden problems.
Clients who don't know about mastering don't care about the fancy details behind why you don't believe that an issue can be fixed.

For example, I know a lot of mastering engineers who won't accept a distorted track, even if the artist can't provide a better copy.
They're elitists and perfectionists, and they use these situations as opportunities to demonstrate
how much more they know about audio than the plebeians who send them the tracks in question.

Some of us, on the other hand, are pragmatic.
I was getting a lot of requests for mastering demos with tracks that were driven to clipping.
So, I went out there and found a fantastic tool which reconstructs clipped peaks fairly well using some fancy ballistics algorithms.

My rule of thumb is that there's always SOMETHING you can do - albeit with varying degrees of effectiveness.
I try to have three possible solutions to any situation before I decide to try one.

There's a difference between "This can't be fixed", and "I'm not sure whether this can be fixed or not, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment".
You should be excited every time you come across something that seems impossible to fix! You've been given a rare opportunity to set yourself apart!
You're welcome to take the most challenging track you've got and click the link in my signature to give me an opportunity to make it sound better.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back