Should I use Pro Tools or keep using FL Studio?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, before you guys read the title and think this is like another one of those threads about pro tools vs fl studio its not going to be. This is more about what I should be using since I have both programs on my computer. I recently purchased pro tools 11 and I've been using FL Studio for a long time. I have a bunch of beats that are done but as time passed I went back and realized that as nice as the beats are and they are layer out, I am having a hard time mixing them right so that when I master them to be presented they sound perfect and have that professional quality to them. I currently only use pro tools to record my artists vocals when we record and I make all my beats on FL Studio but my biggest problem is getting the mix and quality of my tracks right. I have heard people say I should make a beat in FL Studio and then mix it in pro tools. Then I have heard people say just drop FL and use pro tools for everything. I am not really having any issues are far as making beats and laying them out track wise or using plugins, its just more on the mixing side is my biggest downfall right now. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best option for me since I have both DAWs at my disposal? Should I bounce the beat from fl studio to pro tools and mix everything on there? And if so how do I do something like that? Or should I drop FL Studio and just use Pro Tools 11 and learn the ins and outs of it and start over all my beats on there?

you can export all the tracks in FL studio individually in fl studio and mix in pro tools. i do this with fl and reaper sometimes.

there's nothing wrong with fl studio's mixer btw (other than the limited sends, which there's workarounds for), some just prefer mixing externally.

hey thanks for the response. which of the two do you think will give me a better result? i am just really stuck in the whole mixing stage and having to go back over my beats is a huge road block for me and I am trying to get the best possible mixing quality.

Do what you want to do. If it feels good to make the beat in FL and mix it in Pro Tools, then do it. If it's the opposite, then do it.
Though, a little reminder, is that Pro Tools is pretty much the industrial standard mixing platform, and I bet there's a pretty good reason for it.
However, I wouldn't judge you for whatever solution you go for (as long as your comfortable with it). The important part is that you make great music.

there's nothing wrong with fl studio's mixer btw (other than the limited sends, which there's workarounds for), some just prefer mixing externally.

FL Studio has as many sends as it has mixer channels.
Anything can be sent to anything.
The 4 tracks labeled as "send" exist only for backwards compatibility with old projects.

Pro Tools is pretty much the industrial standard mixing platform, and I bet there's a pretty good reason for it.

I challenge the notion that Pro Tools is industry-standard at all.

I currently only use pro tools to record my artists vocals when we record and I make all my beats on FL Studio but my biggest problem is getting the mix and quality of my tracks right. I have heard people say I should make a beat in FL Studio and then mix it in pro tools. Then I have heard people say just drop FL and use pro tools for everything. I am not really having any issues are far as making beats and laying them out track wise or using plugins, its just more on the mixing side is my biggest downfall right now. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best option for me since I have both DAWs at my disposal? Should I bounce the beat from fl studio to pro tools and mix everything on there? And if so how do I do something like that? Or should I drop FL Studio and just use Pro Tools 11 and learn the ins and outs of it and start over all my beats on there?

When taking advice, it can be helpful to consider the satisfaction your teacher gains from offering it (which includes my own advice right here).

I feel that Pro Tools aficionados go out there and prothlesize to everyone,
because they've convinced themselves that they're using the "one true DAW" (or "the Industry Standard"),
and feel a deep sense of pride in telling others to "get with the program".
When I read a Pro Tools user bragging about how great Pro Tools is,
I feel the same as when I see Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses standing outside my door.

With that said,
I believe that when you're 100% comfortable with both FL Studio and Pro Tools,
Pro Tools will provide a more efficient workflow for mixing stems.
FL Studio will offer a more efficient workflow for writing electronic music.
Both have the potential to create the same high-quality result,
and therefore the difference exists only in a manner of workflow.

Of course, there are also other considerations:
- Your experience level with each DAW will affect which is more efficient for you.
- Working in an unfamiliar environment can break habits, which can either lead to innovation or frustration.
- etc.

My advice?
If you already have Pro Tools, learn it and become comfortable with it! Why not?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Although Pro Tools is industry standard, it's just a language. Obviously Fruity Loops isn't industry standard, it hasn't been around as long.

I have been in your exact position. Frankly, I think working in multiple DAW's can get tiresome. FL is a fantastic DAW, and so is Pro Tools.

When I was a kid and just started mixing, somebody told me FL studio was worse than garage band. They said it colored the sound too much and made for horrid mixing.

That person had no idea what they were talking about, but they were farther in music than I was so I listened to them. A daw does not at all affect the quality of sound. The only reason I mix in Pro Tools is because it's just a tiny bit cleaner than Logic to me and it makes it easier workflow wise. But that's really the only difference in DAW's. Workflows. Fruity Loops is definitely better arrangement wise to me.

I can see where you're going, and don't Do not get in a mindset that it might be the DAW's fault. It's the Mics fault, the interfaces fault, the composers fault, the recording engineers fault, and even the mixers fault. But a DAW is a DAW, and fruity loops is a fine DAW. If I still had windows I'd be using it right now, no doubt.

What I do think you should do is make a mixing template and a beatmaking template

Just my two cents.

(And I have no idea where you're at right now so I'm just throwing this out there. I assume you're turning off the default limiter that opens up when you make a new session?)

Edit: I have just found out FL is in beta for mac, CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD THE HELL YES TRAIN.

Last edited:
Back