Rule of thumb. Can an 808 kick and snare hit together?

gescajadillo

I was wondering if there are any tracks you know where you can use a basic kick and snare/clap to hit together in a beat, trap especially. I hear it sometimes in buildups but what do you think? should it be separated at all times or make it slap together? If so, is there a certain way you should eq it, possibly sidechain?

Last edited:
I hear them hit together all the time. Sometimes the snare hits on the 1 or the kick will hit on the 3 as well.

I always sidechain the kick through everything; typically with the waves C6, so that when the kick hits, the bass will duck out on the lower frequencies. That way you can have a smooth low end without distortion when the kick is hitting during a sub

I'm sure you have heard snares/claps and kicks hit together a gazillion times, which kind of clap makes no real difference in this case. Don't sidechain the clap to the kick.. What's the point? You don't want the clap to disappear when the kick hits, do you?

It's not at all uncommon for the kick and snare to hit at the same time......for example step 11 of Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing TR-808 pattern, and that's just like the first thing that came to mind because it's an very early example of the TR-808 in action.

Last edited:
It can be done but at the end of the day, it depends on how you want it to sound. As long as you mix it right, you'll get what you're looking for.

Back