reverb output path

know_ledge

where do you guys usually send your effects/reverb out to?

I created a reverb stereo aux and sent my vocals to this aux but I noticed the reverb/effect sounds different when choosing different output paths.

the 4 combinations I tried were:

1. setting your output to your default out 1 and 2

2. sending it to the submix/mix buss

3. putting it as a send or plugin on each track buss

4. sending all your vocals to one buss and send it to that buss

I also notice wherever you send the reverb it increases the volume a significant amount

say if I send it the reverb to my submix buss or set it to my output path which is the master fader and the volumes are already high from my vocals before sending after I send the reverb this will end it increasing my volume leaving me having to lower faders.

someone please help me

what's the best way or how do you properly use your reverb/effects?

Last edited:
if you must use a a send then you need to return it via a channel and mix the return as you would any other channels - so that it dos not overpower existing channels

If you do live sound you learn how to solve this problem early, as it is one of the first issues that pops up - do I use a simple return buss or do I return via mixer channel - the only issue that you then run into is that you need to be certain not to send the reverb to itself

if you must use a a send then you need to return it via a channel and mix the return as you would any other channels - so that it dos not overpower existing channels

If you do live sound you learn how to solve this problem early, as it is one of the first issues that pops up - do I use a simple return buss or do I return via mixer channel - the only issue that you then run into is that you need to be certain not to send the reverb to itself

can you break this down for me please

the problem im having is my vocal levels are good but when i add reverb the reverb volume increases on what ever channel the output path routes whether it be my submix , the master fader ect

so what should I do? the reverb is messing up my volume levels on channels and sometimes even cause it to clip.

Last edited:
You need to set the Mix level on the reverb to 100%. Send the vocal to a bus with a reverb on the insert set to 100% mix level. You can put the reverb as an insert on the vocal track but you will lose some signal as you adjust the mix level.

You need to set the Mix level on the reverb to 100%. Send the vocal to a bus with a reverb on the insert set to 100% mix level. You can put the reverb as an insert on the vocal track but you will lose some signal as you adjust the mix level.

I know this already that's what I do but what about the output path? where do you send the reverb on the bus? to your submix? do you leave it to your main out?

**** it ill leave the signal going to my submix thanks for the help atleast -_-

Back