Recording different from what I'm playing?

benbyul11

Hello everyone, this is my first time trying to record midi from my casio ps-20 using the software fl studio 11. Before, I used a regular line jack to connect my keyboard to my computer and tried using audacity to record. The problem i met was the presence of background noise similar to static that covered the sounds. So I have now tried using a midi to usb devices.

The problem that I now face is that the keys i play on the actual keyboard do not correspond with what i hear from the program. There are random notes everywhere and many notes just go missing to the point you can't tell what I'm playing anymore. With the previous simple jack method I was able to hear what I played clearly so I don't think it has to do with the keyboard itself.. At this point I don't know if there are certain program settings that don't match up with my instrument, the midi cable itself is messed up, or if it has to do with my playing style itself (which i doubt because random notes i am nowhere near are suddenly played).. Any tips of help would be greatly appreciated!

What program do you record your MIDI to? And what MIDI controller do you have?
Have you tried switching to another cable? I bet your controller comes with an USB cable as well, try recording the MIDI through that one instead.

Last edited:
What program do you record your MIDI to? And what MIDI controller do you have?
Have you tried switching to another cable? I bet your controller comes with an USB cable as well, try recording the MIDI through that one instead.

I record to fl studio 11 and as for my midi controller it is my casio ps-20. Sadly it did not come with a cable, but I think I will try using a different cable.

the casio ps 20 does not have usb connectivity

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/PS20_EN.pdf

what you describe is interesting as it suggests that you are getting some interruption/alteration with the midi data signal, though it could also be a problem with using a vst instrument that cannot play back all of the notes you play

pics of your setup (keyboard/cables/interface if any) will help diagnose causes and solutions

random notes suggest that something is turned on in the midi data settings in fl11

Sorry about that! By usb connectivity I was referring to connecting the usb part to my computer. Anyways, I solved the problem today. The problem was simply a bad midi adapter. Bought a new one at the store and everything is working fine now thanks for the help though!

Back