Question about key

Sk1nZ

Ableton Addict
Im trying to figure out how to get my kickdrum to be in A as my track is in Aminor and im using this note frequency table....

Note Frequencies

Ive got my kick drum peaking at 55hz which says its correct for A, however to achieve 55hz ive had to put the midi notes on the D above the A and if the midi notes are put on A the hz reading is 42hz and it doesnt sound quite right, it sounds better with them on D

Ive tried it with a few other kicks from sample packs which say they are in E for example but have a different hz reading to what the table is showing...

Anyone know the reason behind this as i want to get it right

Also does everything else need to be in the same key? Drums, hats, percussion, snares etc...

Thanks

Last edited:
sure, your sample is perfect 4th lower than it's indicated pitch - If you play D you get the A below and if you play A you get the E below it (E is ca 42Hz)

re-pitch your sample to its correct pitch and everything else will be fine (i.e. make sure that it's presumed pitch of C is actually that and not a G)

I just pitch the kick to what I presume to sound "on-key."
Also, I change the key of sounds that obviously sound a bit off-key, but other than that I leave it alone.

Hope this helps!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
did you actually read the question, which is "why is the pitch of my kick different to what I should get for the note I put in?", or just answer the first thing that came to you so you could drop your now removed link?

thanks for the help, yeah im making electronic. i read somewhere else that the instruments you use can be in any of the notes of the scale you are using which makes sense

are there any tips and tricks for working out the key of your instruments if they are coming from samples? i dont use them a lot but would be nice to know how its done

I know a pretty famous mix engineer, that sometimes puts Autotune, in auto correct mode, directly on the kick track, to tune the kick drum. Sets it to the key of the instrumental. Automates if there are key changes.

Back