protools tdm and hd system is it worth buying

HD vs Native is not a recording quality issue.

It is a matter of with HD/TDM you can record with no latency.

More important if you are tracking rather than just mixing.

ditto above.

Do you have thousands of dollars anyway?

You might want to spend that money on room treatment, an interface, etc. You can always change your buffer size, and even then they have automatic delay compensation in PT11.

That being said, you should make sure your comp can run pretty well. Especially if you'll be recording with CPU monsters like Native-Instruments.

and even then they have automatic delay compensation in PT11.

ADC is actually the opposite of recording without latency... that will create MORE latency during recording.

This is because the way "automatic delay compensation" works is by delaying EVERYTHING so is is all delayed as much as the thing with the most latency. So, if you have one track using a plugin that creates 1 second of latency, all your other tracks will be delayed so they ALL have 1 second of latency.

...that being said, i could not live without ProTools HD/TDM.

I didn't say it removes latency. Does it matter the other way? Everything will be in time then. Are there side effects of doing it this way?

what I'm saying is that the delay compensation is not what makes it an indispensable tool of the pros... it is the LATENCY FREE RECORDING.

It is the hardware that allows you to achieve that.

PT HD/TDM is all about the hardware.

I am guessing other software has delay compensation, too... no?

I was actually just asking you... I don't know what other software offers regarding delay compensation.
Figured someone as savy as you would know that!

I have not checked logic's new version for delay compensation. They could be offering automatic as well.

As for Cubase, I believe it also does it automatically.

Fruity Loops has a bit of a unique delay comp. https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/mixer_trackprops.htm

So I guess the question is would we rather fumble with controls, buffer sizes, and potential cpu overloads when we could throw off our/the artists ideas at that time, or do we get HD.

It's kind of funny. I went to the Minneapolis Media Institute for a summer, and it sounds like they really don't know what PT HD does. They basically said "It's a lot of money for a tiny increase in sound quality." But from your description, it sounds like sound quality has nothing to do with it.

Of course, we were a freshmen class, and maybe they were just trying to throw us off of it.

Is there a way to upgrade to HD or a more affordable option?

Figured someone as savy as you would know that!

I have not checked logic's new version for delay compensation. They could be offering automatic as well.

As for Cubase, I believe it also does it automatically.

Fruity Loops has a bit of a unique delay comp. https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/mixer_trackprops.htm

So I guess the question is would we rather fumble with controls, buffer sizes, and potential cpu overloads when we could throw off our/the artists ideas at that time, or do we get HD.

It's kind of funny. I went to the Minneapolis Media Institute for a summer, and it sounds like they really don't know what PT HD does. They basically said "It's a lot of money for a tiny increase in sound quality." But from your description, it sounds like sound quality has nothing to do with it.

Of course, we were a freshmen class, and maybe they were just trying to throw us off of it.

Is there a way to upgrade to HD or a more affordable option?

I only use PT, so I have no need to know what the others do.

Unless you are really making a living from music and recording, I would not get it.

You can get a native version of HD to have all the functionality... but it does not give you better "sound quality".

Basically, all software will be of equal "sound quality"... it is the hardware (pres/converters) you use to record INTO that software which determines your "sound quality"... and pretty much any converter/pre hardware will work with anything.

Its the DSP/core/farm cards of PT that make it what it is... The DSP/core/farm cards allows latency free recording... the card, not the host computer, handle the recording.

"Native" = host based recording. The computer itself is carrying the weight of the recording processing, so there is latency.

"TDM" = core based recording. The specialized cards are handling the weight of the recording so there is no latency.

and native systems are getting better as computer power increases.

Back