Pro Tools 11 Vs. Logic Pro X

Jortiz7

I currently own Pro Tools 11 & am thinking about purchasing Logic Pro X. I've read that people prefer to compose in Logic, and then Mix in Pro Tools. I am pretty much a beginner but I just don't like the interface of Pro Tools & for some reason it seems Logic is easier in terms of maneuvering from what i see in the videos. Do you guys believe Logic is user friendly ? Should I make the purchase or not ?

I have both of these DAWs and typically do just that: compose in Logic X, and mix in Pro Tools. I think it's great to have both options. Sometimes a mix is sitting just right throughout its composition and it's easy to finish in Logic X, but a lot of the time Logic X's quickness and intuitive features lend themselves to tracking, editing, and all around creative touches, and Pro Tools is a great, organized, powerhouse of a mixing station.

My only caveat is that, as a beginner, it might be helpful to master all steps within one DAW before moving into another. Just something to consider. Just as long as you are mixing SOMETHING in SOME DAW you will be getting better.

Best of luck,

Ghost

I have both of these DAWs and typically do just that: compose in Logic X, and mix in Pro Tools. I think it's great to have both options. Sometimes a mix is sitting just right throughout its composition and it's easy to finish in Logic X, but a lot of the time Logic X's quickness and intuitive features lend themselves to tracking, editing, and all around creative touches, and Pro Tools is a great, organized, powerhouse of a mixing station.

My only caveat is that, as a beginner, it might be helpful to master all steps within one DAW before moving into another. Just something to consider. Just as long as you are mixing SOMETHING in SOME DAW you will be getting better.

Best of luck,

Ghost

I agree, you already own Pro Tools. Might as well just get used to that, I run Pro Tools 11 too. Instead of spending 200 on logic you should check out the Air Instrument expansion pack. 7 vsts for 300 bucks that TOTALLY redefine what you can do in pro tools. Was originally 1000 bucks. Those instruments (especially Hybrid 3.0 and Transfuser 2.0) are simply incredible. Totally redefines what you can do with Pro Tools.

I also agree that as a beginner you should just focus on one DAW. Im in school for audio so I'm required to use multiple DAWs. I've done projects in Reason, Logic(barely), Ableton and Pro Tools. I know Pro Tools the best and HONESTLY prefer it over anything else I have tried. It all just comes down to learning one and sticking with it. I really dislike needing to use other daws for specific projects because it feels like starting over and I just wanna go back to PT. So many people only scratch the surface of their daws. Especially people with Pro Tools, there is ALOT of stuff in that software that would make your jaw drop if you were just shown. Which I'm sure is true of any DAW, but i don't use them to be shown so I don't know. So it all comes down to just stick to one and go with it. Don't let anyone tell you that you cant produce in Pro Tools, its just getting used to it.

People throw the term 'workflow' around a lot. To me, your choice of DAW shouldn't be based on how easy it is to use it at first. Because one day you will be past that learning curve, and the entire reason you decided to go with that DAW in the first place would be irrelevant. Practice will get you to the same point with any DAW your using, and once you're at that point it doesnt matter how hard it was to get there. Considering you already have Pro Tools, id stick with it and definately consider getting the air instrument expansion.

They are roughly at the same quality level and should be avoided for low sample rate (44.1 kHz) work because of their inherent latency, use Cubase 7 instead. For high sample rate work (192 kHz) Logic 9 should be considered.

Back