Preemo Compression!!

shotgun99

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone could share some knowledge on getting that crunchy slamming boom-bap style compression that Preem blesses his samples with. I use Logic Pro X, and I find it difficult to use the standard plug-ins to achieve this without heavily distorting the sound and losing the dynamics.

Any advice would be mad appreciated!

J

Hey J,

I'm not sure who Preem is, but I think I know what you're talking about. I also use Logic X, and you can achieve some amazing things with just the standard plugins. To get that really crisp, slapping style it's all about the attack and circuit type of compressor. Try giving it a longer attack so that the transient can punch through before getting tamed. Try playing with the different circuits within Logic. Stay AWAY from the Platinum circuit. That almost never sounds good with quick transients like drums.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat more about this.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply man. By Preemo i meant DJ Premier, i was going to link some of his stuff but I haven't posted enough yet. What do you mean by circuits by the way?

Circuits are basically just different types of emulated compressors. They each have their own slightly different set of rules governing them, such as slower or faster attack and release reactions, slopes on the threshold/knee, etc.

In Logic the default circuit type is "Platinum." Look to where it says that in your compressor and try playing with some of the others. You'll notice the attack and release are more responsive in other types.

Let me know if that helps!

Well for one preemo have some of the best engineers in the game behind him (atleast had) so its hard for you to compete with them.

And the compression your talking about is mostly from him using old samplers and working them in his way, Drums out of MPC60/S950 tend to have quite a punch. Those samplers kinda automatically compressed the sound and therefor gave it that crunchyness.

Also you should start with good drums - preemos drums knock because he picks drums that knock, its hard to make a flat kick punch you in the face. So always start off with a good sound (preferably not in MP3 quality either!)

Heres a perfect example, these drums have been used so many times you cant even count. why? - because they knock.

What preemo does is he leaves most of the bass in the snare that come from sampling vinyl (a kit is usually EQed) which results in a very deep snare, heres an example of what im talking about:

Last edited:
its everything. his equipment. the way he eq's and compresses samples as they go in and how he processes them. it's the engineers. it's how he picks samples.

if you want hard type ny sounding drums i think vintage warmers and distortion effects will do you pretty good. maybe even some parallel compression for mixing, i duno

and i will be honest. i'm a big fan of dj premier, but sometimes his drums, specifically kicks, be having too many mids for my taste

Back