pre mixing & mastering ???

HdotOnTheBeats

is mixing overrated?? do you even have to mix cause sometimes its too overwhelming but i am a control freak so i feel as if i have to do everything & i feel like its jut not enough or if i should even mix.is there a simple way to mix and master so theres not a million things i have to do ontop of the confusion.Also there is so many different ways too mix.Its art so is there a right or wrong way???

Mixing overrated? Do you listen to the radio? Matter fact do you consume any type of media? Audio? Video?

Mixing audio or audio with video to broadcast standards is the cradle from which 99.99% of your media comes from. Its the mixing that makes the tracks we like so much sound so good. So that is a moot point.

Mixing is only confusing for you because you seem like a beginner. Ger a couple years ubder you and it will become very simple.

If mixing is over-rated then artist and studios have been paying me for going on nine years now for smoke and mirrors..LOL. Mixing is like you said, an art form. Honestly, you can practice and practice and try to get good at it or you can leave it to someone else to do. When I was in music school I made 3 to 5 tracks a week. Now I am lucky if I do one a month! Why? Because as an audio engineer, that is my focus. You're an artist...that is yours. I am kinda a control freak too, but even I don't mix and master my own stuff. Find an engineer that you can work with and let them do the mixing.

is mixing overrated??

No. In fact, practically every noob here UNDERRATES the importance of mixing.

do you even have to mix

Yes. That is, of course, if you want your music to sound good.

cause sometimes its too overwhelming but i am a control freak so i feel as if i have to do everything & i feel like its jut not enough or if i should even mix.

Most things that require skill seem overwhelming to beginners.

...and it is good that you "feel as if [you] have to do everything", because you DO have to do everything...that is, of course, if you want your music to sound good.

And if you "feel like it it is just not enough" then it probably means your ear is good enough to hear that you are not mixing well and that you still have more to do.

is there a simple way to mix and master so theres not a million things i have to do ontop of the confusion.

No.

But the more you do it, the better you will be at mixing and the easier it will be for you.

Also there is so many different ways too mix.Its art so is there a right or wrong way???

There is not necessarily a "right" or "wrong" way to mix...

But there is surely "good" and "bad" mixing...

...the "art" part of it comes in after you get past the "good" and "bad" stage of the mix.

Yall probably hate me, cause that thread is mad old.

But in my opinion, mixing is a lil too overrated nowadays, especially when it comes to hiphop.

A lot of Albums/Tracks I consider classic are so ****ed up, dirty and raw mix-wise that some of yall would laugh their ****ing asses off if some noob would post them, but thats why I fell in love with hiphop. Sure, a bassdrum needs to kick and a snare to hit, but real HipHop to me isnt popmusic, its always been lofi stuff from the gutter. I love overdriven basslines, I love distortion, thats what hiphop is to me and thats how I wanna make music. I dont care if other producers dont feel the way I work, but they have to respect it, cause thats what I like and I know that there are a lot of people thinking that way. For exemple: I hate RZAs newer stuff. Why? Because its TOO clean to me and thats not what I wanna hear when I listen to rap.

As long as the music is good, the samples are dope, the beat goes hard and the emcee can spit, its all good.

At the end I think its a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Mixing and mastering are just as much an art form as beat-making.

A bad mixer/masterer see's theses steps as a "process" or one more thing he has to do on check list.
A great one see's it as another chance to add his creative touch.

edit: Should have checked how old this thread was lol, previous poster tricked me.

Last edited:
I love overdriven basslines, I love distortion, thats what hiphop is to me and thats how I wanna make music

Distortion and overdriving has nothing to do with mixing. If you're not into clean music than put the right effects and plugs into it. Mixing is giving space to every instrument in the mix, so you can hear everything crearly...

Last edited:
Yall probably hate me, cause that thread is mad old.

But in my opinion, mixing is a lil too overrated nowadays, especially when it comes to hiphop.

A lot of Albums/Tracks I consider classic are so ****ed up, dirty and raw mix-wise that some of yall would laugh their ****ing asses off if some noob would post them, but thats why I fell in love with hiphop. Sure, a bassdrum needs to kick and a snare to hit, but real HipHop to me isnt popmusic, its always been lofi stuff from the gutter. I love overdriven basslines, I love distortion, thats what hiphop is to me and thats how I wanna make music. I dont care if other producers dont feel the way I work, but they have to respect it, cause thats what I like and I know that there are a lot of people thinking that way. For exemple: I hate RZAs newer stuff. Why? Because its TOO clean to me and thats not what I wanna hear when I listen to rap.

As long as the music is good, the samples are dope, the beat goes hard and the emcee can spit, its all good.

At the end I think its a matter of taste.

"good mixing" does not mean "clean" and "pop".

Your statement shows that you are lacking an understanding of what "mixing" is.

If you want "****ed up, dirty and raw", you neeed a good "****ed up, dirty and raw" mix...

If you want a "****ed up, dirty and raw" sound and you get a "clean pop" mix, then you have gotten a BAD MIX.

Back