Not hearing the mixed sound!!

whiterabbit

Hi,

Man I'm frustrated and need some help if possible.

I bought a Souncraft M-8 mixer as I want to have a more hands feel etc.

I also have a presonus firestudio which I am using as my audio interface.

Using instruments direct into the mixer works fine. But I also wanted to send samples from a single track in ableton from an output on the presonus through the mixer (use the EQ and external effects) and then send it back into presonus to ableton the record.

However when I am trying to do this all I can hear is the unmixed sound.
The mixer faders, eq and effects don't effect the outputted sound at all.

However when I send my headphones directly into the mixer the sound the mixed sound is there.

I'm abit lost really!! and hope this makes some sense.

My monitors are plugged into the outputs of the audio interface rather than the mixer. This is right I believe as I want the sound to be recorded back into the audio interface for final recording.

Like I said, external instruments work fine it's just the samples from the pc I wanted to send out through the mixer and back in again.

Any help would be appreciated.

OK, this is a minefield as there are so many variables in your set up. If I was there I could probably sort it in 2 minutes, as I could see the problem and react to it (or at least I'd hope so as people pay me to do this on a much bigger scale LOL).

I think the best way for me to help would be to explain how I would do it.

So you use the Main Outputs on the Firestudio to go to your monitors/speakers. Great that's fine, there are other ways but they're more complicated.

From your post there are two possible alternatives as I see them:

(1) You want to put a mono sound through the desk and EQ it or add to it from the mixer channel.

So send the mono sound out of your DAW using a different output from the monitors/speakers on the Firestudio (eg. o/p 3) and plug that into the line input on a mono channel on the M8.

Patch the Direct Out of that channel on the M8 back into a line input of the Firestudio. Select pre/post fader on the direct out on the M8 as required.

Set up a track in your DAW with the corresponding input that you patched into the Firestudio from the direct out of the M8. Set the output of that DAW track to the Main Outputs (the monitors/speakers) on the Firestudio and record arm the track.

EQ it and mess with the channel on the M8.

Bingo-bango.

(2) You want to mix/EQ several mono sounds into a stereo output on the M8, or you want to send a mono sound to the M8 and add an effect (stereo reverb etc.).

So send the mono sound/s out of a different output/s on the Firestudio (eg. o/p 3, 4, 5...) and plug that into the line input/s on a mono channel/s on the M8.

Patch the mix buss output of the M8 into the first two inputs on the Firestudio. Set up a stereo track in your DAW with the corresponding inputs that you patched into the Firestudio from the mix buss of the M8. Set the output of that DAW track to the Main Outputs (the monitors/speakers) and record arm the track.

EQ, pan, level and effect the signals to your heart's desire.

Bingo-bango.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back