Need decent studio monitors (ASAP going to order some in 4 hours)

Olie

This will be my first proper studio monitors, before this i always used crappy speakers for playing music and i used ATH M-50'S for mixing.

I have a lot of money saved up but i'm willing to spend around £500 max for these (but would like to spend less) Doesn't need to be anything special. I will probably still mix on headphones a little (i can't be blasting away music all day where i live) but i need these for reference too.

Also need headphones but that can wait for another thread, i need to sort this out today.

Cheers all!

Here's one choice:
http://www.gear4music.com/Recording...ord__match__&gclid=CJ2Hhoi8zr0CFWbLtAodLCoAXA

Last edited:
honestly just get the krk rokit 6's. i have them and they're really awesome, but make sure you break them in for about 60 hours or so, that's when their sound gets really nice. spend the rest of your cash on a good audio interface or room treatment

Decided to put the decision on hold for a little bit.

At the moment i'm stuck choosing between Mackie MR8 and Yamaha hs80m both seem pretty good. Which would be better for Hip Hop? I can't get anywhere to test them out so at the moment i pretty much have to guess based on a ton of reviews and forum posts i've read. Also which MR8 version is worth looking at? The k2's seem a good price for me but is it worth it to get the k3's for the extra hundred bucks?

I'm a noob to monitors so this might be a dumb question... I have a m-audio fast track c400 interface that connects via usb to my laptop, i'm guessing the monitors would work/connect through the line outputs on the interface with the 1/4 inch jack?

According to some internet peoples the mids on the Yamaha hs80m is more pronounced, is that good or bad for mixing vocals? Would it make me overcompensate and put them too low?

Mackies are reported to be more bottom heavy...

Yamaha is definitely pulling in the lead for me based on everything i've read so far.

The price of the Yamaha is making me a little uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Think i'm going to take the dive and dish out £469 for a pair of the Yamaha hs80m with some stands... It feels painful to release the tight grip i currently have around my money though.

I'm an amateur at what I do. Don't get me wrong I can mix the hell out of a track. But it also took me a while to learn that good speakers and mixing go hand in hand. You can skimp on speakers if you want to but I wouldn't advise it. Even if you have to save up for a good pair of speakers, just make sure you invest in a decent pair.

I wanted to save money so I bought the Avid AV40 Studiophile from musicians friend for like $70. I hooked those craps up and unhooked them within five minutes. They were HORRIBLE when it came to hearing the highs in a song. I turned around and ran to Guitar Center and bought the JBL LSR 2328P Bi- amplified powered studio monitors for damn near $400. Buying cheap will get your cheap sound and a mediocre mix down.

Decided to put the decision on hold for a little bit.

At the moment i'm stuck choosing between Mackie MR8 and Yamaha hs80m both seem pretty good. Which would be better for Hip Hop? I can't get anywhere to test them out so at the moment i pretty much have to guess based on a ton of reviews and forum posts i've read. Also which MR8 version is worth looking at? The k2's seem a good price for me but is it worth it to get the k3's for the extra hundred bucks?

I'm a noob to monitors so this might be a dumb question... I have a m-audio fast track c400 interface that connects via usb to my laptop, i'm guessing the monitors would work/connect through the line outputs on the interface with the 1/4 inch jack?

According to some internet peoples the mids on the Yamaha hs80m is more pronounced, is that good or bad for mixing vocals? Would it make me overcompensate and put them too low?

Mackies are reported to be more bottom heavy...

Yamaha is definitely pulling in the lead for me based on everything i've read so far.

The price of the Yamaha is making me a little uncomfortable.

It's worth googling the difference, but from my understanding, the only difference between the 2s and 3s are the frame build. I've heard the 2s, you gotta check reviews, because sometimes they cut corners on newer models, charge more, and the sound isn't good, sometimes they fix issues that make it worth the money. HS8s are cool. I'd recommend MR8s over them, but others would recommend vice versa. It is one of those things you'd have to check for yourself. I can't see you being unhappy with either, I like the way the MR8s handle sound overall alot more though. Heavier bass while still being loud and clear with mids and highs. I feel it's the best bang for buck you can get out of budget 8" monitors by far.

Just one more suggestion to throw in, I havent been in the market for monitors for a couple of years but I was close to picking up some event 20/20s last time I was looking. Sounded pretty good for a cheaper end 8 inch monitor

I'm pretty excited to get them, i think it's definitely the right choice for my preferences.

Got the Yamaha hs8 today and i'm pretty pleased with them, only complaint is the highs are a little sharp for me but i guess thats why it has a high trim built in a back switch.

Managed to knock a full size mirror into one of the speakers while trying to set them up (don't ask). Completely shit myself, managed to make a tiny dent in the bottom corner which is really bugging me now, luckily no real damage. :sigh:

Back