Music for Clubs...All instrument tracks should be mono?

the bass and kicks take up a lot more of the high end than a lot of people think. obviously it depends on your track and what you are trying to do, but take a kick for example. the 'click' of a kick comes more from the 2-5kHz range than the low end, and this is one of the most important areas for making a kick punchy. it is perfectly acceptable to have stereo effects in that area, although more so for bass than for kicks.
i tend to keep everything mono below around 150-200Hz (depending on the track), but anything above that will be stereo to some extent.

if you get weird phasing from the stereo effects of a track just convert one side to mono instead of averaging the both speakers to mono

---------- Post added 06-07-2012 at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-06-2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

Yeh m8, your got the perfect philosophy for it, I use a free VST called TP Basslane to mono-ise the lows.
I try not to seperate the stereo field too much though as this can lead to huge perceived volume differences of stereoized instruments going from speakers to headphones / visa versa

acually a lot of clubs if not most will playy your music on mono speakers. so makre sure the bass, kick and snare really pops in mono.

You HAVE to put your bass in mono for clubs. Kick drums in mono is a good idea also. You can have your higher layers in stereo. I like the snare in mono. But bass has to be in mono for club systems.

Back