Mostly mono mixes? Odd?

crimsonhawk47

At least they are mostly mono
I'll give a few examples.

I'll try to find more, but I thought these were really odd. You'd think the sample in right for me would be in stereo, as there's clearly room for it. And everything is panned up in that from what I hear, which seems like a bad idea, but I still enjoy the mix.

Almost famous is even weirder. It feels like 90% of it is mono, but still all panned slightly right. It's kind of a messy song, but you can still hear everything.

Does anybody have any comments on this? I like NEED panning for the kind of tracks I make, so this is very weird that some people make professional tracks with little panning to separate sounds. Are they just cutting the crap out of things?

I'll look for more examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of professional mixes are mostly mono. Thats subjective obviously.

Recording Revolution suggests only having ONE stereo track in your entire mix. Im trying to follow this. I like having mono tracks vs stereo since I started doing it. Leaves more room for panning your delay or reverb from that signal somewhere else.

Love having my mono tracks delay 'run' across the panorama.

Last edited:
I know that. I use the same method. I don't mean the sources are mono. I mean everything is panned the same Way and mono. Little reverb going out too.

Back