Mixing vocals to a 2 channel stereo track

P

Protools8

Okay guys. Seriously??? I hear everybody talkin' about "MIXING AND MASTERING" and they don't even know anything about the terms. People use industry beats, that are already mixed, and mastered, and then they just track vocals over it, and turn the vox up or down, and somehow think they are great engineer. Its petty.

Professional mixers TRACK EVERYTHING OUT!

The mix should start out dry, then you e.q. compress and reverb and ect. If you can make a dry mix sound as clean as "Radio Music" then you can call yourself an engineer. Everybody else is just very ignorant.

How is leveling a 2 track with vocals not mixing?

I find elitist views worse than ignorance at least with ignorance people can educate themselves, if you think you know everything you can never evolve as a person no matter what filed you work in or what art your pursue.

You got it all wrong son. Try mixing a vocal ontop a mastered instrumental. Thats like the photoshop of music man
. Mastering by defenition is adding fx etc After all the tracking and mixing is done. Not to mention the fact that 1. Studio engineers mix the vocals as well as the beat 2. Vocals are very hard to compress, eq, automate, autotune, fx, comping takes etc

How is leveling a 2 track with vocals not mixing?

I find elitist views worse than ignorance at least with ignorance people can educate themselves, if you think you know everything you can never evolve as a person no matter what filed you work in or what art your pursue.

I know for a fact i don't know everything. I've learned new things at least every couple of mixes.

And I mean. seriously? Anybody can track over a stereo track. The real mixing is when everything is completely tracked out. I bet you somebody who always records on an industry beat wouldn't know how to handle a real session. They wouldn't know how to fix phase issues, or har bal. or anything like that. Its childsplay.

Where is all this comming from dude? I mean, I definatly agree that some of the two track wizards out there would be a little overwhelmed by an actual session but the two track mix has com a long way. I work on both styles because I do alot of hip hop. Each process has its own skill set, guys who can two track well definatly have talent because they have to work with a final intrumental, they have to be more creative with their solutions because you cant just turn an instrument down in those cases. I dont take anything away from the guys who do it well. The ones that dont, well, I dont listen to bad mixes....so they really dont bother me.

I agree that mixing a 2 track has nothing on a full session. What frustrates me as a mix enginner is someone brings me a 2 track to mix and I'm thinking all I can do is mix the vocals on this. The problem is some producers aren't mixing there tracks, so I get 2 track mixes with everything up the middle and its a pain in the a**. I've had to buy Waves Center to help spread some of these 2tracks I get. Thats my problem about 2 tracks. artist needs to understand that I can't treat each sound individually if its a track of a CD and that their song would sound better if I could get all the wavs.

Using a 2track beat IS kind of the hip-hop version of the Karaoke booth at Disneyland.

It happens in the pro world on occassion - like the beatmaker lost his/her mpc disks, or the computer files are lost, or whatever - and if the song is hot enough, you just live with it. But a conscious choice to track vocals over a two-track beat is for the mixtapes at best.

Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :-)

Sometimes you've got no choice but to record vocals on a stereo track if they don't have the individual tracks available to mix.

A good engineer works with whatever they've got and makes it sound good in the end...that's it really...

This thread is kind of old.

Where'd you hear about Pony was mixed over a 2 track?

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

A good engineer works with whatever they've got and makes it sound good in the end...that's it really...

I disagree. Mastering engineers can't make bad mixes sound good. Though they can make good mixes sound GREAT!

Mix engineers can't make terrible recordings sound good. But they can make a good record become a HIT record!

I disagree. Mastering engineers can't make bad mixes sound good. Though they can make good mixes sound GREAT!

Mix engineers can't make terrible recordings sound good. But they can make a good record become a HIT record!

And whose fault is that? :-) Regardless whether a mix is bad or not, if the client comes in and comes out happy, then that person is a good engineer.

Last edited:
Back