Mixing and Mastering with Vocals

Ryan Anderson

1. If I record a song with vocals is there are certain volume, or dB I should have it?

2. When Mastering is it the same way as mastering a beat? (EQ, Compression ect.)

1. I'm no recording engineer, but as far as I've learned, keep the RMS value at 0 dBVU in the analog domain when recording.
2. Same approach, but now you have a new, very vital element in the track to consider as well.

and remember that that 0dbRMS value is probably equal to -20dbfs or -14dbfs or -12dbfs depending on your metering system and how well set up your monitors are:

0dbRMS is equivalent to 83dbspl

- if your system is calibrated then you can begin to be certain about other aspects of your mix, if not then you will be still taking shots in the dark as to whether it will work on other systems

There is no written rule as to 'what should my volume be', at the end of the day, abide by the the rule of thumb for pretty much all recordings - mix until everything in your track is balanced, and make sure nothing is clipping!

As for mastering, no single process is ever correct, it all depends on what the style and final effect is like, but regardless of whether you have vocals, or violin, or kazoo in your song, you are still going to be loosely looking at the same process, you just may select a different compressor, or treat the audio in a different way. Just think of the voice as another instrument or element of your beat.

Nothing should be mastered until it has been properly mixed. A beat is one thing that SHOULD never ever ever ever x4 be mastered under any circumstances unless the intention is to never add anything else to that beat. Anyone and I say this boldly, anyone who advises you to master a beat does not know what they are talking about and you should move far far away from anything they have to lend you in the way of advice in the world of audio production. Attempting to master anything short of a finished mix is absolutely wrong and out of the proper order of music production.

Follow these steps: write the music, record the music, edit the music, mix the song and finally as in LAST get it mastered. Producing music in any other order will lead to amateur sounding results and just because it's loud does not mean it sounds good. If you can stick to this formula you will notice drastic improvements in the way your music sounds.

Back