Mixing & Mastering tips? (Logic Pro X)

Where can I start? I want to learn the basics, such as understanding what sound frequencies are. I also want to learn all the terms people use so I can understand what they are talking about in the Mixing and Mastering Youtube tutorials.

Hey! I have read your thread and I could see myself sitting in the same chair.

The problem I had, actually still experience, is that my work does not sound as professional as THE real professional work. But to make my work more clear and professional, I tried many things, I learned many things and I am still learning. I want to share my experience and what I did in order to create something better and better.

First of all, I am producing for almost two years and I still do not have any monitors, so basically I created and mastered my work on normal speakers. Yes monitors are important and the room etc. They help you with mastering a lot but I will tell you what helped me the most.

First of all, try to understand the basic effects you can use in order to make sounds perfectly hearable, I mean the usual effects such as the:
- Compressor
- Multiband dynamics
- Auto filter
- Limiter
- Saturator
- Equalizer 8
- Spectrum
- Sidechaining

I guess by reading your thread that you recognize all these terms. But the following attention helped me a lot:

Make use of the space in your track. Use panning, for example percs that you can only hear on the left or far away in the back. Widening, make sounds wider or just the opposite, again pan them to the right or left or just the middle. I learned that widening and panning are very important tools.

Sometimes I use the auto pan, but most of the time I pan sounds manually. For widening techniques I use the utility tool in Ableton.

I hope that this helps you a bit :). Keep learning! :D

Last edited:
How would I find out the current frequency and spectrum Range of a sound? I have problems with muddy results and has gotten a lot better but I don't know what was different other than I tried not to stack synth sounds anymore

I'm gonna sound like captain obvious...but forget every tip given in this thread. No 2 mixes will be the same, it's all about making things sound good. Who's to say there will be unwanted freqs, or a point where you're panning too much? It may never happen depending on tools, environment and hundreds of other factors.

Make professional sounding music, period.

How to do so? Constantly listen to professionally mixed and commercially released music while comparing yours. You'll learn what sound is acceptable. Do it long enough, and just possibly...one day yours will start sounding better than the stuff you're listening to because you start recognizing flaws in what they're doing and avoid them.

If you're listening, you'll figure out from trial and error how to develop the same sound.

Last edited:
Back