Mixing and mastering plug ins you swear by?

HitafterHit

Organic Music
I'm interested in what different and odd plug ins people swear by for mixing. I use anything waves. I'm a wave head. most of the stuff they drop i'll buy. how about you guys?

I never swear. Sorry. For a long time Waves is more driven by marketing than research and development. Most DAW feature correct plug-ins which are good enough for both mixing and basic mastering.

Waves are a great staple, and most studios have them so great for compatibility. For a few to try:

Have a look at the Massey range, especially the De-Esser and L2007 Limiter. The De-Esser craps on the Waves ones for me.

I also love the SoundToys bundle, amazing effects bundle that I couldn't do without one I'd used it once.

I love the FabFilter Compressor and EQ. I also swear by Izotope Ozone for mastering! For me I go by what the record needs and what I have had experiences with in the past. Some EQs are more transparent then others so Ill use that for boosting a vocal that already sounds pretty good but just needs a little touch. For surgically removing annoying frequencies ill use a harsher EQ.

Try everything bro, nothings wrong.

I use Reason and Pro Tools 11. Use mostly the factory stuff included. Not sure why much outsourcing needs to be done these days. Everything comes in the box for the most part.

I can't say I swear by a single plug in, but tool? Absolutely. I always need an LA-2A emulation(because I don't have a real one). I've always routed all my vocals to a single aux channel and applied the LA2A to mesh everything and make it all sound level and natural, also good for blending with the music behind vocals. Best ones for doing this are UAD's collection IMO, Waves actually has an ok one(even though I agree waves is overrated), but right now in Reason i have to use the Cakewalk one because it's the only one they offer in RE. Kind of hard to screw up from everything I've tried. Never heard a bad LA-@A emulation. Even the Bomb Factory stuff(that's like at least a decade old)was/still is up to par.

Last edited:
1176 plugins, l1, fabfilter pro Q, altiverb with impulses, echoboy, vintagewarmer

thats it pretty much

VOS PreFix, VOS Nasty DLA MKII, VOS Slick HDR, TDR Slick EQ, TDR Feedback Compressor II, IKM Classic Multiband Limiter, IKM CSR, VLADs LNo6, signaldusts Dust Analyzer and different kind of metering tools.

Last edited:
you can get the same results with built in plugins.
If you work with people that use different daws then use an outsider plugin.

There's no one tool you can truly "swear by", you have to go with what the song needs. I find myself using Ozone quite a bit and waves are at the top of my list

Last edited:

I think there's a seed of truth in this statement, although I don't fully agree...

For most newbies, it would probably be best to just stick to your DAW's built in plugins - in most cases, they're more than good enough. It takes time & lots of experience to exhaust their possibilities and actually be able to identify the weaknesses - and possibly get to a point where you'd consider something better/different. Sometimes the 3rd party plugins can provide better results (and I'd say the most obvious differences are usually found in effects plugins more than basic mixing plugins like EQ). The point is, though, that there's no point buying expensive plugins from the get-go. Learn to mix first.

No doubt I'm a Waves head too. Right on, cuz I know it's quality. The only thing I need besides my Ableton DAW and Waves.com Limiters are my choice Synth VST's.

OH one more thing. Absolutely impeccable. Antares Mic Mod EFX. GAve me great mics even with my Blue Encore running on "Generic". I didn't get good results until I stuck it on "Generic" now we're rockin. If you want to hear some songs with it I have it on my soundcloud. The ones using Mic Mod are "Opposite" "true to be wild" and "japan fantasy". The other two I believe are just the Blue Encore dynamic mic.

My go to synths are Syenth1, Rapture, mostly but I still haven't used Synthmaster but I plan too. Also Dimension Pro I belive will become a staple in some of my hip-hop I plan to produce.

No you don't. All plugins sound different.

I think there's a seed of truth in this statement, although I don't fully agree...

For most newbies, it would probably be best to just stick to your DAW's built in plugins - in most cases, they're more than good enough. It takes time & lots of experience to exhaust their possibilities and actually be able to identify the weaknesses - and possibly get to a point where you'd consider something better/different. Sometimes the 3rd party plugins can provide better results (and I'd say the most obvious differences are usually found in effects plugins more than basic mixing plugins like EQ). The point is, though, that there's no point buying expensive plugins from the get-go. Learn to mix first.

I might be wrong but...

I bought Sound Design Suite by Waves without demoing it. I find it will be good for my Black Sabbath type sound. It is quite analog and very sloppy on some stuff like the compressors. To me it is good for rock and only some types.

Anyone agree...? disagree?? I open to hear what it can be used for. The gentleman likes Waves too, like me. But I find it more limiting than say, my Ableton Live. Except for the Limiters ofcourse which are needed or atleast help out a lot!

There's no one tool you can truly "swear by", you have to go with what the song needs. I find myself using Ozone quite a bit and waves are at the top of my list

I concur. hehe. I love Ableton Lives effects. I find them quite clear and precise. In a final mix it sits real good and sounds quite analog as well. Works great for EDM or anything you want a clean fresh appeal to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maximus all day! That thing is my go-to. It's got a lot of power, but I tend to use it very minimally.

Also, Parametric EQ2 is the shiz.

omg i forgot to mention the slate digital plugins :D maybe the best of the best out there

Last edited:
Back