Mixing low frequency bass question??

Structurer

So I have been working on a track, that is basically finished, but I have a problem with the bass. I cannot EQ or mix it properly in the 75hz and below range! The sound either disappears, or it completely takes over the entire track! I have tried using filters, gain, EQ against the kick, many tools! Once I finally get it to sound good and not overpowering on speakers with a sub, it is totally gone from the mix when played on lower quality speakers...

So does anyone have any tips or tricks when it comes to mixing in very low frequencies? I am using a very smooth bass sound, and really do not know what to do to fix this problem...

Thanks

So I have been working on a track, that is basically finished, but I have a problem with the bass. I cannot EQ or mix it properly in the 75hz and below range! The sound either disappears, or it completely takes over the entire track! I have tried using filters, gain, EQ against the kick, many tools! Once I finally get it to sound good and not overpowering on speakers with a sub, it is totally gone from the mix when played on lower quality speakers...

So does anyone have any tips or tricks when it comes to mixing in very low frequencies? I am using a very smooth bass sound, and really do not know what to do to fix this problem...

Thanks

Not having the source file its hard to say what will work or not but here are a few tips. 1st thing mix it on the larger speakers get it sound good to your taste not over powering but "just right". 2nd. now to fix the issue with the the track playing on smaller systems. One trick is to layer the kick with another kick, something accompanying the 808 but not really in the front on larger monitors or speaker, but will definitely show up on smaller system. Trick 2 add some distortion to the kick and see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Have you tried sweeping a few notches through that part of the spectrum to find any resonating bad frequencies, and tamed those, before adjusting that region?
Have you tried using a multiband compressor to tame the dynamics of that area a little? Maybe there's a hitting bump in that region that needs to be reduced or so.

Back