Mixing with iPhone 5 Headphones

BRBeatz

Music Producer
Hey, what do you guys think about mixing beats/songs with iPhone 5 headphones. I feel they give a pretty even sound.

Terrible idea really buddy, I would recommend getting some professional cans or monitors. You may think it sounds good but its really impossible to be accurate sonically. Good to reference your mixes though to hear how most will hear your compositions.

I agree. Not the best idea. I'd get a more quality pair of headphones to mix in, but I do recommend checking in headphones
as well as monitors for subtle sounds that might get lost.

I also have ATH M50 Studio Monitor headphones and I was mixing on those for a while until I realized the mixes sounded great on the headphones but horrible on anything else.

They are not even. I'm not a number guy but they are mega boosted around 300 hz. or the "high basses" if that makes sense. They are designed to make music sound good, not as it should.

And in music size matters for the most part, no clarity. I use the sennheiser HD 380 pro's and they do the job, use to have sony old HDR's and I prefered those to be honest not sure if they make them anymore though

If it works, go for it, but there's no way, like has been mentioned several times in this thread that you can rely solely on them.

If the music you make with the ATH M50 sounds that bad on everything else, it may just mean you are not used to hearing a flatter, more even sound yet. Professional quality means it's closer to delivering a more accurate, truer representation of your sound. Iphone headphones are far from professional quality.

It's the same reason it's frowned upon to mix with Beats.

if that's all you have, than that's all you have, and just make the best of it. i personally know what its like to not have any nice equipment, and to have to just use what's available. if you have the option to get some nice speakers, that might be a better option, but if you'd rather have headphones, i'd try to get some better quality headphones than iphone headphones (also not go ear buds, but over-the-ear headphones can sometimes be much better). these are just ideas and everyone hears things different, and everyone has their own preferences. if you like the iphone headphones and can get a sound you like, i say go for it!

Only use them for reference bro. Not everyone is gonna be bumpin your tracks with iPhone 5 headphones. The idea with monitors is that if you can get them to sound good on there, they'll sound good through Apple headphones or whatever else. Doesn't work the other way around.

Same here as everyone else. Try to mix on professional cans. I have the Audio Technica ATH-M50x. Also when you get the funds, get some studio monitors. Its best to reference on the earbuds, computer speakers and car stereo.

I mixed my beats with iPhone earbuds for 6 months. At one point it was literally just one earbud. It's not impossible but lord is it a pain. Surprisingly, a lot of those beats got sales still. So I do think it's a terrible idea but it's not the worst thing if you have an ear for really small details.

Back