Mixed on ATH-M50's

M

M.E.T.H.O.D...MAN

I have neighbors in my apartment so using monitors is not exactly doable for me aside from the occasional reference on my crappy Sony consumer grade speaker/sub... I finally got my tracks up to a commercial level and I would love some feedback on this mix that I did with my ATH M50's. If somebody with a treated room could give it a listen and maybe let me know if my subs are too loud or if the snare is too loud that would be excellent as those were what I was having trouble with the most. I have gotten used to the M50's even though I know they are not ideal, but its a temporary fix until I move out next month. My one complaint with the phones, is that since the subs are not that easy to hear on them, I end up turning the levels on my basses up so that it sounds good on cans, but then when I play it in the car its way too bassy.

Attachments

• Dank Aaron.mp3
    5.9 MB · Views: 37
Quite a good mix. Good panning and eq'ing. I like your clean sub-sound, nice distortion on it!

Maybe you can work on your volumes, your sub is the loudest which is oke, but your HH's can have a little bit more volume in my opinion, but thats a matter of taste. And you have a gap between 100hz - 500hz you could fill that up, with a (high) bass or an other instrument, but thats again a matter of taste, if you like it minimal like this, thats oke.

Also try to have some saturation/distortion on your synths, because that brings the character of the sound more to the front.

Further more, I like to have a tiny bit of compression on my sub, because it gives a more controlled sound and feel to it. But thats also not a must, its again my taste. Compression brings the peaks down, use long attack (this lets the character of your sub come through) and mid-long release (compression should fade out before the next sub hits), 1:2 ratio, nothing too crazy.

And always listen to your song on as many references as you can, like your phone/laptop/car speakers etc etc. It should sound pretty good on all of them, at least if you can hear all the sounds (clear) on the low quality speakers, then you know your have a good mix.

Goodluck.

Quite a good mix. Good panning and eq'ing. I like your clean sub-sound, nice distortion on it!

Maybe you can work on your volumes, your sub is the loudest which is oke, but your HH's can have a little bit more volume in my opinion, but thats a matter of taste. And you have a gap between 100hz - 500hz you could fill that up, with a (high) bass or an other instrument, but thats again a matter of taste, if you like it minimal like this, thats oke.

Also try to have some saturation/distortion on your synths, because that brings the character of the sound more to the front.

Further more, I like to have a tiny bit of compression on my sub, because it gives a more controlled sound and feel to it. But thats also not a must, its again my taste. Compression brings the peaks down, use long attack (this lets the character of your sub come through) and mid-long release (compression should fade out before the next sub hits), 1:2 ratio, nothing too crazy.

And always listen to your song on as many references as you can, like your phone/laptop/car speakers etc etc. It should sound pretty good on all of them, at least if you can hear all the sounds (clear) on the low quality speakers, then you know your have a good mix.

Goodluck.

Great thanks! I actually did use some saturation on the synths but maybe I need more? I agree about the hats, I made them a bit louder on the next bounce. I just finished another two beats if you have the time I'd love for you to give me some feedback on them. Let me know and I'll post them, I don't want to post twice in a row because for some reason I get a warning because they think I'm excessively bumping.

Back