Mix too quiet (with limiter)

Depends what you're mixing, but sometimes if you have one instrument that's too loud, it can screw up everything else in the limiter phase. Make sure your drums aren't too high and compress any instruments with a ton of dynamics.

How does one not sound condescending when asked "how to make a mix loud using the tools to make a mix loud"? We're trying to figure out the problem and getting told all our answers have already been applied.

This is the equivalent of a muthaf**ka saying I'm thirsty as hell next to this river. Unless that river is full of toxic waste, I can't figure out the f**kin problem, lol.

Hey so why respond if it is not true? I'm just saying what I am seeing and what other people read on this site. There is a lot of condescension going on at FP forums.

I tend to have the kick and bass as the loudest parts , all the other channels combined at the master may total to 2 or 3 times the volume of the kick, so when your limiter kicks in its pushing all the dynamics down , you ideally want your kick and bass to be nearly hitting the threshold of the limiter when it starts to push back , that way the loudest part of the track will be the drums ,
a good way of working is using another tracks waveform as reference , load it into your DAW and look how the kick drums fill the tracks block from top to bottom. trying to achieve this is a good starting point .

everyone works differently but i try to work quiet , have the track in full peaking at about -6 , if the track during the busiest parts aren't consistently hitting -6 then i know i need to re-tweak the mix.

Hope this helps

MR.

Hey so why respond if it is not true? I'm just saying what I am seeing and what other people read on this site. There is a lot of condescension going on at FP forums.

You know what I see more than condescension? People with no clue WTF they're doing thinking someone giving them advice is patronizing them because it's easier than actually hearing the advice. And don't expect to make it far in this business being pompous enough to think otherwise...or being so sensitive you think because someone keeps it real with you they're somehow looking down at you.

It's just f**king music. A monkey can do this shyt, and if put in the right engineer's hands, a hit can be made from it. Hits are made from youtube clips by adding music and autotune. Hits are made from straight ripped loops of old songs. There's nothing to this shyt.

So I'm sure I don't only speak for myself, but most in here offering advice...if you can't figure out how to control 2 faders on a limiter to get a quality sound...big deal, it doesn't matter anyway, most stuff sounds like shyt before it blows up and is put in a real engineer's hands anyway.

But if you want to FIX your sound yourself...the answer obviously isn't "I already do that" to every solution introduced.

So anyone here purposely being condescending is basically saying he can do the work of a chimpanzee while everyone else does the work of a baboon. This shyt ain't rocket science, it's just the baboons convince themselves the chimps are smart asses when all they're doing is peeling bananas rather than bashing them open. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back