Microphone postioning

Spoonhead Music

Producer/Emcee
ive just recently built a vocal booth in my shed and lined the inside with acoustic foam. ive got a sennheiser MK4 microphone running through a fast track solo into pro tools and would like some tips on how to position my mic for rap vocals. right now ive got the top of the mic about 3cm above my upper lip and pop filter about 2 inches away from it and I stand around a inch from that. the mic is about 2 ft from the back wall and has around a foot from each side wall and ive got bass traps lining parts of the corners around the mic. just wondering if theres anything more I need to do for a better sound. thankyou

There are soooo many factors to consider here... and the exact positioning is going to depend on the room, the way it's treated etc etc. Sound alike your mic set up/distance etc. is fine. Best advice would be to move around the room and try it in all locations. Trial and error always brings the best results!

I assume you have not totally lined the inside with foam 100%? If so, you might find the room a little dead sounding and muffled up top... A touch of liveliness always helps with vocals!

I still gotta line the roof and the door. I was gonna leave part of the roof untreated to stop that dead sound. I tried movin it around today and got a better sound but ill give it a few more goes to find the best place for it.thankyou

Back