Mic placement

Mike Flow

Okay so I have a small closet recording studio. Ik ik. I have half of it covered in foam. My mic/stand is on the half thats covered in foam. The back of the mic is facing the wall with foam and the front is facing the half with no foam. Does that sound right? Should I have the back of the mic facing the wall with no foam? I see people who put mics outside of the foam and it sounds really good but in my case it dosnt.

If your microphone has a Cardioid Pick-up pattern then essentially you should have the acoustic treatment on where the sensitive part of the mic would be facing.

So simply put, the BACK of the microphone should be facing the wall with no acoustic treatment and the wall at the back of the singer (or whatever you are recording) should be acoustically treated. Though it can also help to have both parallel walls treated, but the said setup usually works fine.

If you have money to spare you can get something like the SE REFLEXION FILTER along side you acoustic treatments. Or you can make your own reflection filter.

Also if the FOAM you are using is not thick enough, like those cheap bed foaming you buy at your local dept. store then you better rethink on using that.

Instead I would suggest just hanging thick Fluffly blankets or duvets on your walls with a small gap between the wall and the blanket so it will work better. I use thick fleece blankets and they work very well.

Finally a Rug or carpet on the area where you are recording can also be a big help if you are still having problems.

For further reading here are some articles:

Recording Vocals In The Computer Studio

A Guide To Choosing & Using Studio Microphones

Note: Dont believe anyone who will tell you that closets and cabinets won't work and that need a full feldged vocal/recording booth. Make the most of what you have.

Back