Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeatComMusicGRP

Thread: Mastering with audacity

Ricky_therapper is offline Registered User

Mastering with audacity

Sign in to disable this ad
    so i was wondering if anyone knows any "tips" on mastering with audacity?
    i mean, i know its not the best program to record with but hey, for me it does the job
    so any effects that i can use to make my music sound as crisp as it can with audacity?

Halma is offline Registered User
    Hi Ricky,

what exactly do you want to achieve with your audio file(s)? Do you have a bunch of songs which have been already mixed on a proper level? Do you want to put them together as an album? For what kind of medium (cd, vinyl, mp3) or just "broadcast ready"? Are you looking for "the final touch"?

Iīm just asking because a lot of people donīt know the difference between mastering and mixing. I donīt see any problems in using audacity as long as you know what you are doing.

Did you already read the stickies? They contain a lot of knowledge which could be helpful for you. After that you should be able to ask a more specific question to solve your task.

Donīt get me wrong but I donīt think that there is some kind of magic mastering chain out there. Some guys will use compression while others wonīt touch it on the master bus. It all depends on your source material, the quality of it, your room acoustics, your vision etc.

Cheers
    Halma

BeatComMusicGRP is offline Registered User
    Dont do it... send it to get professionally mastered... if you cant afford it, then save up... eventually if you want your music out there you have to invest money in it...
    likes this.

RedBeerd is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_therapper View Post
    so i was wondering if anyone knows any "tips" on mastering with audacity?
    Don't.

Most people on here are working to get halfway decent at mixing alone. Mastering is not something for you to do. I mean you, specifically. How do I Know that mastering is not for you, specifically? Because you asked about mastering on Audacity.

Save. Save. Save. Then let an mastering engineer handle it for you. You'll get better product that way.

Peace.
    "Master of the mouth, music, microphone mechanics; gifted wit prolific spit, my larynx do damage"

turtle is offline Registered User
    When i first started rapping I used audacity all the time.. But never for mixing or mastering.. I just recorded the vocals and sent them away to friends with a higher level of skill than myself at the time.. Nowadays I mix, master etc.. Not in audacity tho

krushing is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    One main goal of mastering audio tracks is the elimination of clipping, the buzzy distortion that occurs when signals grow too loud.
    Mastering can't really fix a clipped track (if it's clipped, it's clipped - the information above the clipping point just isn't there) if it gets that far - these should be indefinitely be fixed during the mixing phase, as is the case with about 99% of the issues newbies consider to be part of mastering.

laurend is online now Registered User
    I am pretty sure these tips can help u on effects with other programs as well,
    One main goal of mastering audio tracks is the elimination of clipping, the buzzy distortion that occurs when signals grow too loud.
    This isn't mastering but restoration. Such flaws must be fixed at the source. You have to improve your tracking and mixing skills first.
    On line Mastering - from €5 - 7/24 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test -Try now
    MaximalSound.com

RedBeerd is offline Registered User
    I am pretty sure these tips can help u on effects with other programs as well,
    One main goal of mastering audio tracks is the elimination of clipping, the buzzy distortion that occurs when signals grow too loud. With Audacity, you can see if your track is clipping by watching the green bars in the Meter toolbar. If they bounce into red while the track plays, you've got a problem. To nix the clipping, you'll need to keep the output level below 0 decibels (dB), which is the loudest volume you can attain without losing quality.

The most obvious fix is to reduce the track's gain, or volume. Unfortunately, Audacity doesn't reset its red clipping indicators until you stop and replay the track, so you'll need to adjust the sound by trial and error. Note that if your track exceeds 0dB in its original recording, you'll never be completely free of the distortion.
    Don't listen to this.
    "Master of the mouth, music, microphone mechanics; gifted wit prolific spit, my larynx do damage"

gkelly is offline Registered User
    how do u pull samples off audacity using maschine?

Thread Information