Listen up beginning producers!

Jeffrop6691

So I've been producing for about 3.5 years now and I've been having a 6 month writers block now and havent finished a track since. Nothing I start working on seems fresh and I noticed a couple times I unintentionally created some of my previous progressions from another song but in a different key. At first there was so much to learn and create but the problem I've run into is that I have bounced around most of the genres and wanted to learn as much as I could as fast as I could. I should have taken it a little slower in the beginning because every time I start making a new track I feel like I've already been there done that. So my biggest tip to beginning producers is to take your time and focus on one genre for a period of time and see how you like it. I haven't quite found my niche yet and I'm feeling a little lost. Just wanted to spread that with those who are just starting out and I wonder if any one else is having the same problem and if so what have you done to overcome it.

All this says to me is you should stick with one genre incase you get sick of it and want to move onto the next.

Don't really agree with that, but I think your wall is more of a personal thing than a genre specific thing. Stop thinking of it as what genre you are making and just make it. Let the critiques decide the genre. You're problem isn't that youre bored with your music, its that you cant think of any new music to make. Start mashing genres, experiment. In essence, go right back to square one and start over, pretend you havent made anything and dont worry about repeating old projects and I bet new stuff will come. If you're just making whats coming to your head then you shouldn't even be concerned with genre. If youre copying stuff off youtube thats when you start becoming aware and bored of your genre.

Last edited:
I think I might have worded it wrong originally.
I meant more like technique that goes into making the genre. Like 808 in hip hop/trap, plucking synth in trance abd prog house etc. Its been really difficult to come up with something I haven't made before when I've done such a variety of synths, patterns, etc. But I guess you're right I shouldn't be too concerned if I use the same synth twice or if I've made something in that genre before and not put that much pressure on my music abd let it just come as it wants. Thanks for the tips I think that is going to help I'll remember that next time I start a new track.

I actually find it to be quite the opposite. Sticking to one genre even though you're in a creative rut was not a solution for me. The only thing that helped was to create something completely different. But then again I'm not so bound to genres. I make electronic music in many shapes and sizes.

I agree with none of this. Don't stick to any genres, don't even think about genre. Make yourself in the sonic form. Think about any famous producer that has "made it". They don't make a genre, everyone has a twist that is "their" sound. Find your own sound, it's about personality not genre

I agree with none of this. Don't stick to any genres, don't even think about genre. Make yourself in the sonic form. Think about any famous producer that has "made it". They don't make a genre, everyone has a twist that is "their" sound. Find your own sound, it's about personality not genre
This is right! Don't try to "stay" somewhere, you have to experiment, YOU have to like it! It will never be that you can find your sound EXACTLY in one genre, otherwise you was probably too uncreative.
You really have to create something, doesn't matter which genre in general.
For the last years I started with dubstep, then changed to very DEEP dubstep, released a track, built something, but then I found out for myself: That's not what you want. I was not satisfied with what I did, even if it sounded okay or good to me. Now I know what I want to stick to and still have to find my own sound. Some say you never really "find" it. You develop your methods and your sound and if you don't give up and continue, people will recognise how your tracks sound :)

In this album that its in my sig, I didn't try to stick to one genre. I just wanted to make the darkest music I could possibly do with my experiences. And the outcome is quite funny: some pople said to me that they were dark ambient, some that they were dark ambient with some influences of industrial, some said that they were some kind of avant garde, while other said that it is genre-less, but they could easily see them on games/horror movies.

As said before, genre is something created by people to make it easier for the fans to reach out new music through something they already know.

Noisia released mainly a sub-genre called neurofunk (a dark type of drum and bass) in the early days. Then, in 2010 they released an album which is formed mainly by 2-step dnb, but they are still labeled as "neurofunk". so, when people search for that sub-genre, they'll probably end on Noisia. Was I clear enough?

you dont agree with any of it yet you said the exact same thing I did in different words basically

Back