if there is no middle speaker. than what is actually happening when you widen a mix.

thesoundgrove

Stereo imaging is all the sudden not making any sense to me. Also using the mid side feature of eq's and mixing techniques no longer make sense to me. Can someone pretend I am from another planet and explain this to me from the beginning?

Its like imagine you're in a room and the walls on your left and right are going further and further away from you creating wider space. If the space is wider the sound will sound bigger, if the space is smaller the sound will sound more upfront. We use stereo imaging to make the instrument or the whole song sound more dynamic. Hope this somewhat puts things a bit more in perspective lol

I think the stereo image is just the delay between 2 sources. When you split a sound up and delay one of them with somewhere around less than 30ms and pan them left and right, the ear can't really detect it as 2 different events so it just sounds like the sound is split out on the sides.

If you had a perfectly centered sound, essentially you'd get the same result from one speaker right in front of your nose as you would get from 2 perfectly spaced speakers on the side. Without Panning and some delay between the time it takes for the source sound to reach your ear, you won't get the feeling of stereo as the sound would reach both your ears at the same time with the same volume and so you won't detect any difference between them. This is essentially how all things you hear that is "wide" works, be it chorus or stereo imaging plugins.

What mid side does is just isolate the information that is not dead centered or any other value the plugin might use and vice versa so you can process them individually.

Panning would just be either lowering the output to either the left or the right channel as well as increasing the output to the opposite simultaneously by any given value, this will differ depending on different pan laws within daws.

I may be off with this info, am not that confident in my technical knowledge as some, so someone will surely come around and correct me in that case. :-)

Here's a neat article on the subject;
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/reaper-0412.htm

Last edited:
Thank you, I think i am back in reality again.

Any time!

Also on a side note, it's not only the delay between the sounds that make you perceive it as being wide, it could be a very slight difference in the sound as well that distinguishes one sound from another. As in the example with chorus, it normally uses detuning to achieve this and so now you have 2 sounds that are roughly the same, but different enough that you perceive it as being one, but not different enough to sound like it comes from 2 different sources.

If that makes sense..

Last edited:
Back