How to sound more commercial??

Adr

I use FL Studio (with orchestral vst's, ezdrummer, soundpacks, etc. even ''expensive vsts) and I can compose and produce and my songs sound really professional but they sound too much like film and movies music and I want them to sound more comercial, just like OneRepublic or something like that.
I think it could be because I use too much Reberb or because I use default plugins to master my songs.

PD: Use BooBass, Edirol Orchestral, EWQLS Gold, FL Keys, Nexus, EZdrummer, sound packs, Kontakt VSTs, etc...

without audio we have no idea what the problem may be

I would suggest analysin the musical content of songs that you are trying to emulate and then go from there, but, then again, you haven't told us about those either.......

I agree with the others - an audio example would help us help you. When you say "sound more commercial", this could be an issue with your sounds, composition, mix, arrangement.. all kinds of possibilities.

Just a thought maybe its the difference between using real instruments vs vsti's? one republic are a band not a Vsti

^^^With the sound library he possesses he can do a great emulation job. I'm assuming his problem is he's going in with too many elements of movie scores and not enough for top 40 hits, but just an assumption until we can hear some music.

Emulation is great, but the real thing is the best! I agree that its all assumptions till we actually hear it.

Last edited:
^^^Can't argue with that statement at all, bro. Nothing emulated is quite like the real thing. But they can get fairly close. Especially with distorted guitars and live drums. Not a bad idea adding an electric guitar or 2 to the setup(if he doesn't have any). :cheers:

You may find it advantageous to try to reproduce those songs you're trying to emulate. If you try a couple, you'll get great insight into which elements are used, which aren't, the parameters involved on each element. After you've done this, you'll have first-hand Knowledge of how to get the sound you're after.

Peace.

^^^Can't argue with that statement at all, bro. Nothing emulated is quite like the real thing. But they can get fairly close. Especially with distorted guitars and live drums. Not a bad idea adding an electric guitar or 2 to the setup(if he doesn't have any). :cheers:

Agreed, that would be a step in the right direction :)

When you said movie score verses radio, the first thing that popped in my head was pattern lengths, try writing shorter patterns that loop more times. Yes it is more "musical" to write a 16 bar melody, but people, especially on the radio like short catchy rhythms and melodies - They kinda want to expect whats coming next in the song.

try using more compression, listening to more commercial music and applying what they do to your songs. watch youtube tutorials too. that'll help you look for a more commercial sound when setting out to make a track. You have to really dig in and try to sound commercial to sound commercial. use commercial chord progressions. learn the chords from your favorite commercial songs and apply some of them to your music. hope this helps !

Last edited:
I think it depents on the samples and instruments how the song is actually sounds like. Also the use of effects

That's like saying that the way to sound more commercial is to make it sound more commercial by doing what you need to do to make it sound more commercial.

That's like saying that the way to sound more commercial is to make it sound more commercial by doing what you need to do to make it sound more commercial.

Im just saying that I also got some cinema and old sounding samples... get yourself some "COMMERCIAL" and fresh sounding samples and vstis. That probably should work. Otherwise its a question of mixing...

Commercial songs usually has soft compression. From a composition standpoint, catchy chords is usually where to start. I've noticed a lot of commercial songs also build up as the song progresses and then of course the almighty bridge. A simple song structure of a intro, verse, chorus, bridge will suffice.

Back