How to make HQ Rap/Hip-Hop/Trap beats in FL Studio??

KaleemBeats

Wussup everyone,

I wanna know how to come out with clear professional sounding quality in FL Studio? I have been producing for years and I'm constantly trying to find new ways to make my music sound "radio quality". I have been trying to do this for years now but musically in the past 2 years (2012-2014) the way things produced sound are sooo much better quality...so some experts help!!! I'm not tryna learn how to make beats I just wanna know how to improve quality to the ones I make now to sound radio quality!!!

Thanks in advance,
Kaleem

1. Learn mixing
  2. Learn LIGHT mastering
  3. Use equalizers to add/remove frequencies from sounds or leave the sound alone and mess with the volume slider altogether
  4. use 24/32bitdepth all, the time
  5. you can mix as loud as you want without clipping at 32bitdepth but I believe lower than -5 on a master fader
  6. use at least 128kbps cbr mp3 minimum as export option
  7. learn a little bit of compressors.
  8. maybe use limiters but I don't really see the point of those when volume sliders exist
  9. learn your program's filters
  10. Learn layering of sounds, simply the process of adding two sounds together.

you gotta have an ear for it.. nothing someone coulda actually type on this forum to get you better feel me.. it's something distilled in you.. be real picky with your sounds

SwagProductions is right on about having an ear for it. It is indeed about eq-ing just right. Now I can go on for hours about how you should definitely "zone" out you're EQ's. You just don't want that muddy feel. I can give you one tip for now, and I'd be happy to give you more if you ask. But let's just go to the subject on kicks. We all know a kick in a trance or trap track is short. By this is I mean that you don't want your bass and kick EQ's overlaying. A couple of ways to solve this is to go into your sampler and fade out the remnants of your kick. It should sound very snappy and benefit your compressor (if you are using one) with more room, this is a good way to catch a pumpy feel if you're also using a fast compression.

Another thing I would like to add is stereo Imaging. It's really important. Try turning your master all the way to mono, does it sound good? If not, then you should probably adjust a few things. What I use for imaging is Izotope Ozone 5. It's truly amazing. The stereo imaging feature gives you a real-time visualization where the sounds are playing in your headphones. It basically points everything out as noise in a room.

Here's a pic:iZotope-Ozone-Stereo-Imaging-Module_03.jpg

The only bad thing is that it is very heavy of CPU. So I try to be loose with it.

I recommend demo-ing Ozone5. I use this to try out my songs when I hook it up in my car, and truth be told the wider the sound, the crappier it'll sound in a car.

ALSO (important) Make your kick mono please, I see most people making it stereoized. I try to only do that if the kick has a lot of transients.

Last edited:
a picture without the related audio is pointless as it does not illustrate anything at all other than what you have in your minds eye/ear - something which no-one reading this thread can actually experience

Thanks for pointing my flaws out. But you would think someone who comes onto this forum dday would know the difference between a hallow track and a wide one. I could do a whole video on how it works if you really want to. I'm just trying to help the guy.

I do but the op may not and so you need to provide audio to back up what you are telling them with pictures - this is after all about music and audio production not visual interpretation

ps fixed your sigfile for you you had soundcloud tags around url tags which breaks both when the vbulletin engine tries to render it to html for display

Last edited:
you have to have an ear for the shit.. i think that counts above all.. many people make trap beats.. but 90% don't really stick out.. you have to have an ear for your shit to stick out

You don't need no damn ear for your shit to stick out, you just need to keep pushing

it helps.. alot at least in my experiences.. i don't make half the beats i woulda made if it doesn't start off hot.. my idea of what sounds good and what's hot has changed..

it helps.. alot at least in my experiences.. i don't make half the beats i woulda made if it doesn't start off hot.. my idea of what sounds good and what's hot has changed..

A lot of projects gets wasted if they're not sounding good to me (most of my projects in fact). I guess the music you make grows with the knowledge/techniques you acquire. I can however notice when something is missing without being capable to do something about it. which limits my sound and creativity.

Back