How long Do you Wait before Mixing your Track?

Kero_PR

I can't get my self to mix my tracks probably because I've listen to it a lot. So how long do you wait after you're done producing and arranging your song to start mixing?

Last edited:
I usually wait about a day before doing anything past roughly setting levels. I also occasionally remix tracks that I made months before to see if I can be a little more objective.

I think everyones a little different, I sometimes will listen to some reference tracks or some favourtie tunes that I know inside out to help get my bearings if Im short on time

I tend to do a little mixing as I go. For me, the mixing is really hard to separate from the actual composition.

I tend to do that but don't you get problem with CPU. I tend to use a few heavy CPU plugins like the Kramer Tape emulator or the J37 for example. Also Virtual Instruments the are CPU heavy like Spire. Which mean I got to Bounce everything individually and then import it to Pro Tools for the Mixing, I mostly use Studio One for Production.

Last edited:
Not really. Not because of a powerful computer but the fact that I'm working mainly with audio clips. I'll sample my own instruments and do rough processing of any sound, generally just subtractive EQing and a compression to each individual audio clip (for example the bassline), then I resample my bass sound, 1 octave in the range that I'm working in and then a few longer notes and other variations if I can't replicate those with my resampled bass audio clips. Then I tend to just freeze my tracks and keep them available for later use in case I want to go back and change stuff up.
Then I load up my different samples in drum racks and go from there. I don't do this with every sound. But the rhythmic backbone of the track is usually chopped up like this. And if I then want to mix a little I just leave the insert section of the tracks unfrozen and apply whatever processing I want, leaving the actual instrument frozen. I tens not to use very heavy plugins at this stage because it really isn't necessary at this point, I only mix as I go to get a better feel of what's to come.

Midi is fantastic but there is nothing quite like the control you get when working with audio clips.

Last edited:
Not really. Not because of a powerful computer but the fact that I'm working mainly with audio clips. I'll sample my own instruments and do rough processing of any sound, generally just subtractive EQing and a compression to each individual audio clip (for example the bassline), then I resample my bass sound, 1 octave in the range that I'm working in and then a few longer notes and other variations if I can't replicate those with my resampled bass audio clips. Then I tend to just freeze my tracks and keep them available for later use in case I want to go back and change stuff up.
Then I load up my different samples in drum racks and go from there. I don't do this with every sound. But the rhythmic backbone of the track is usually chopped up like this. And if I then want to mix a little I just leave the insert section of the tracks unfrozen and apply whatever processing I want, leaving the actual instrument frozen. I tens not to use very heavy plugins at this stage because it really isn't necessary at this point, I only mix as I go to get a better feel of what's to come.

Midi is fantastic but there is nothing quite like the control you get when working with audio clips.
How do you go about sampling your instruments? I have maschine pads --- individual aux tracks --- hidden audio tracks, but the idea there was to record the audio tracks at the END of the beat. I often find I have to do it halfway through though, on account of an alright comp using too much kontakt stuff. The end result can be a bit of a mess.

How do you go about sampling your instruments? I have maschine pads --- individual aux tracks --- hidden audio tracks, but the idea there was to record the audio tracks at the END of the beat. I often find I have to do it halfway through though, on account of an alright comp using too much kontakt stuff. The end result can be a bit of a mess.

I sample it at the introduction of the sound already once I'm happy with it. In most cases I sample 16th notes of a bass sound for example, and a few 8th notes in case om going to use that in my bassline loop.

The Sampling in itself is the easiest part. I just highlight and solo the part, export/import my part and chop it up and save the pieces I want, apply fades and single clip processing, resample those to include the processing and fades and import them into drum racks.

I tend to do a little mixing as I go. For me, the mixing is really hard to separate from the actual composition.

I find this to be the best way for me to go about it....
I do light eq and panning as i go along....
-so i can imagaine how the track sounds before i move on to the next step....

Sometimes i thro the soundgoodalizer on the master just to hear what needs to be boosted or subtracted....

I can't get my self to mix my tracks probably because I've listen to it a lot. So how long do you wait after you're done producing and arranging your song to start mixing?

I normally start mixing right after I finished the whole song, and then I keep listening to it for some more days and taking notes. Normally I end with 5-6 different versions of the song, until I reach what I think it's a good mixing.

I'm usually mixing as I go once I get to a certain point. There is always a vision in my head about how I want the track to sound, and how I want to use the space. So, if I'm hearing a guitar in a big space I will try to create that and fine tune it later. I will get away from the production and come back to it with my engineer hat on instead of my producer hat. It's just hard to create music with the idea of, I'll fix that in the mix, when I have all the tools in my hand.

My tracks are 70% done when im finished it, i mix as i go, then i polish it up and let them sit until someone tracks on them.

Back