How to have confidence when rapping?

The best way to overcome this problem is really getting in touch with something within you. Feel the beat, the rhythm, everything in the music, get in the "zone." You really have to absorb yourself into the performance and not let other thoughts distract you. Whenever you do these kind of things don't just give a fraction of yourself, give it your 100%. Any moment you lose confidence or lose focus, it shows it every single time in your recording. Don't even think "okay I'm gonna try to be confident." Just bring it man like you've been doing this all the time and you're the dude. It's a psychological thing in your performance why you're not getting the results you want. You gotta really turn that switch on in your mind. It's that drive that'll give you the best results out from you. Don't let any second thoughts hinder your performance and get nervous again. I've heard dudes rap record or freestyle in person and I can tell when they're nervous cuz I can see it physically and it shows in their voice too. On the other hand, I've seen dudes that just go for it not giving a crap and they just get into their zone and its sick. Don't even think that you gotta "try," just bring that shit out of you.

You ever see musicians like pianists and violinists perform? They step on to the stage all normal like everybody else and once they start their performance boom they just get into it. No hesitation ever holding them back. You gotta put your all into it and immerse yourself. Learn to shut everything out of your mind. Don't get into that feeling where you feel like your watching yourself and you feel awkward and lose it. It's just you and your music. It's not even about confidence anymore, it's just you doing your thing and confidence isn't a problem. Once you develop the momentum, you have fun with it and it becomes natural. This is key to do any type of performance like singing, dance, playing whatever instruments, etc. The more you engage yourself without any distractions, the more you'll get out of your voice. Don't lose that energy, but also as you do it learn to control and maintain it.

Last edited:
knowing your lyrics backwards helps u to focus on pronunciations and moving with the beat but other than that practise practise practise. I find a relaxed recording environment is needed as well

Confidence comes from competence. I had/have anxiety which is essentially fear (shyness, whatever you want to call it) to certain things, the only way to beat it is accept the feeling and embrace it then expose yourself to the situation until its no longer triggering anxiety, perhaps do it in steps to make it easier.

In your case accept whatever you feel, nervousness etc. then say rap in your room as loud as you can then rap infront of your family, then you friends, then strangers, then a big audience etc. etc.

Oh and make sure you practise loads and loads so when it comes to performing for others you will have a positive experience to break the nervousness rather than a negative one to reinforce it.

Last edited:
if you want to develop flow, dont worry about the words, youll seem silly making up syllables, but if you can be brave enough to be different, youll start saying gangsta shit by accident, and then when you start forcing words you mean, you can always drop out into phonetics so you can keep up with the beat, and go for flukes. if you get real good at, it means youll start talking by accident cause youll hear the words you say in your **** ups.

confidence you cant fake it trust me, you got too be like a pimp in real life and have the feel and persona around that mug iff u want any ladies to believe in you aswell as in yourself .

Your prob afraid of the unknown like 1 or 2'people not liking the way you rap or worst case cenereo being booed off stage it happines to the best of them.. Id say start small get a few friends together that like rap and have a cyper or just spit for them then go to the mall or Walmart and stop a group of people and ask if you can spit a freestyle if you can do it in a small group setting you can do it for 10,000 screaming fans you just gotta get over that hump

You don't need any medicine for confidence best and good lyrics can help you to became a good rapper so just have some awesome lyrics and you definetely rocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back